Thread: Ultra Wide Angle

Ultra Wide Angle

I am debating between a 14mm 2.8 and 16-35 2.8 Canon lens for ultra wide portrait and wedding shots. I have a 5DIII and the widest lens I own is 28mm. I am looking for great image quality. Does anyone have any first hand experience wedding or event shooting with these lenses? Opinions?

John

I know a wedding photographer that has the 14mm... I know he mentioned it being really tricky to find a use for. I'll ask if he has any suggestions.

I agree, the 14mm prime will have slightly better IQ especially in the corners of the image but versatility of 16-35mm II out-weighs that in my opinion. If you're gonna do weddings I would definitely favor the 16-35.

If you're shooting a wedding with one camera, get the 16-35 so you aren't stuck super-wide until you can take a moment to change lenses, and that'll leave a little budget to buy a second camera.

If you want great image quality and can spare the budget, take a look at the Zeiss 15mm 2.8. I've really enjoyed shooting with it when I rented it, and the micro-contrast is out of this world.

I watched a few videos of a wedding photog that used the 14mm at a wedding. They used it on a 7D to shoot video with. Not on a FF though.

I think it would be a specialty lens to have at such an event because of the distortion. I had one for a while, it really is a specialty lens because it is so wide. Finding the right shot would keep you thinking.

If you are a wedding photog wouldn't you be better served buying a 24-70mm f2.8 L II?
    I would take it over the 16-35 any day.

I think you'd be better served by the 16-35mm f/2.8. 14mm is SUPER wide on a 5D3 and if you're taking shots of people then the centre of the frame is really the only useful part due to the extreme distortion.

If I were using two 5D3 bodies I'd run around all day with the 35mm f/1.4L on one and the 135mm f/2 on the other. Brilliant combo. If you've only got one body then I agree that the 24-70mm f/2.8L II would be a good choice but a fast prime should be in your kit somewhere.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/ben_taylor_au/ www.methodicallymuddled.wordpress.com
    Canon 5D Mark III | Canon 5D Mark II | Samyang 14mm f/2.8 | Canon 35mm f/1.4L USM | Sigma 85mm f/1.4 EX DG HSM |Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II |Canon 2 x Teleconverter III | Canon 580 EX II Speedlite | Really Right Stuff TVC 34L | Really Right Stuff BH55 LR | Gorillapod Focus | Really Right Stuff BH 30