Thread: Oregon tips?

Oregon tips?

Heading to Oregon in September for three weeks. I need to buy an exta battery, circular polarizer for my 7d, how many CF cards? I usually use a 4 or an 8 CF card. I'm not sure if I will buy a mono-pod, I probably should, but I am being tight with my money at the moment. I have a tri-pod that that seems to weigh a ton, I know I won't be taking that on my hikes. I have a 24-105mm and 100-400mm lens. I think I'm okay in the lens dept. What do you think, is anything missing for my pack?My plans are Mount Hood, CRG, the coastline to see all the lighthouses, marine life, and birds, down to Redwood National Park, then over to Crater Lake, maybe hit the Ramona falls area, there is supposed to be good bird viewing there. Then up to Silver Falls, I would like to go over to the Painted Hills, but I am afraid I may not have enough time for everything. Are there any tips you can give me? Such as best time of day for certain shots, don't miss this hike, etc..Is there a link on this site on taking photos of waterfalls?than you,

Hi Naturac,

If you have never been, you are in for a great trip. The Oregon coast is great. I do want to warn you, just because it is summer, don't expect it to be warm. One of the coldest vacations of my life (ok, it just felt like it, but I was prepared for summer) was the Oregon Coast in August. I think some days were in the 50's...some nights the 40's. What is crazy is that it can be summer like or it can be cold. So, my first trip, bring a jacket and pants and be prepared for both extremes.

I love Columbia River gorge. Be sure to take the "historic" hightway past crown point. There are so many waterfalls. If you are up for it, give Oneonta a try. You typically have to wade through water at least up to your waist to get to it. So have a plan for your camera like a dry bag. A good CPL should give you ~1.7 stops of ND filter. If you don't have one, I'd pick up additional ND filters. The 3-, 6- and 10- stops are most common. If you don't like your tripod, the gorillapod SLR zoom or focus would be a nice addition with their ballhead. Small, compact, and pretty affordable. Before 2013, most of my waterfall shots were taken with the Gorrillapod SLR Zoom. If you can get only one additional ND filter, I'd go with the 6-stop. The 10-stop lets you do everything (blur people/pools/etc), but it can give some color caste and AF needs to be through live view or perhaps before you add the filter. I can AF through a 6 stop and it will let you get most shots in the CRG. Regarding taking photos of waterfalls, I am not sure we have a guide here, but they are on the web. Generally speaking, water starts to blur at `1/15 sec, but I don't like the effect much until ~1/4-1/5 sec. Most waterfall shots are probably taken in the 1-4 sec range to get the really "flowy" look. But then, if you want to smooth out the pool below the waterfall as well, that typically takes shutter speeds of 15-30 seconds. So, a good ND filter and a tripod are in order.

All along the Oregon Coast are some great photo opportunities. Of course, sunset will provide some of your best light, especially it being on the west coast. Check out some of Enro's photos. He's had some great trips to Oregon, including a few from the Japanese garden in Portland. Other classic photo ops would be Ecola State Park, Haystack Rock (both in Cannon Beach), Hecata Lighthouse, the dunes in Reedsport, bridge in Newport, etc.

Have a great trip....
    Brant

Naturac, you will be in for a HUGE treat as Oregon offers up some of the most amazing landscapes. Brant set you up with some great advice that I echo. I took these shots with a 7D and would add an ultra wide angle to your backpack, such as the Canon 10-22. That would do you justice, especially if taking seascapes from a low vantage point and placing a prominent "in your face" foreground element.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/ernogy/...7629719533224/

Have an awesome trip and POST images like mad. Btw, I ate a brick of cheese and 4 apples for lunch one day at the Tillamook Cheese Factory. Stop there for sure. Also, the Japanese Maple in the Portland Japanese Garden is such a wonderful subject. I have a 24 x 36 version adorning my entryway at home. I still like Peter Lik's version better though....damn you Lik!

Branching Out by ernogy, on Flickr

Regards, erno
    Last edited by erno james; 08-23-2013 at 03:46 PM.

Erno - just cruised your flickr site - WOW really really nice. I am so unworthy.....
    If you see me with a wrench, call 911

Quote Originally Posted by naturac View Post
    how many CF cards? I usually use a 4 or an 8 CF card.
    If you have a laptop you only need one card. I had a 16 on my Alaska trip. Downloaded every night. If no laptop then I would suggest 4 - 16's
    have a good trip
    Mark

Thank you all for the tips.Yes Kayaker I have the oneota gorge on my list, although it is going to be tough to go all the way since my ideal swimming water temp. is 80 degrees. Ha! But, that is the first thing I will be checking to make sure the heater works on my rental before I leave the airport.Erno- The photo of the Japenese maple, What month did you get this shot? If I remember correctly my dad had a dwarf japenese maple and I cannot remember if they stay that reddish color all year of if it is only during the fall. Your photo is beautiful!

Naturac,

I just had lunch with a friend that did Oneota about two weeks ago. At least when he did it, things were very dry and the water was warm(ish)....So, it depends on when your trip is.

BTW, I second Marks suggestion. I don't travel with a laptop, so I have plenty of memory on cards. Of course, how much memory you need will depend upon how many shots you are going to take, etc, but I typically travel with ~64 GB in memory cards, which is enough for ~2,500 RAW photos. But it all depends upon how much you will shoot. Nice thing about Oregon, if you run low, there will be a lot of places to stop for you to buy a new card. But backing up on a laptop is a good idea.

Have a good trip...
    Brant