Thread: What's a good point and shoot for when you can't bring your whole kit?

What's a good point and shoot for when you can't bring your whole kit?

What would you recommend? Before jumping into the DSLR market, I used the Canon Powershot SX110IS, SX130IS, and SX20IS. I'd like something a little bit higher quality than those. I am leaning now towards the G15 or G16 now, but still, I'm not sure yet. Maybe the G1X?

Look at getting the eos m on special right now. It may be just a little more but definitely worth the extra change. I think Bryan has the specials in his news section. I believe there are specials both on the zoom and the 22mm right now.

Just my two cents.

Agreed. I picked up an EOS M + 22mm lens right when the price dropped. Really glad I did. When I don't want to lug around the 35-pound camera bag, I take the EOS M. :-)

EOS M Review:
    http://www.the-digital-picture.com/R...ra-Review.aspx

Amazon:
    EOS M + 18-55mm IS STM Lens
    EOS M + 22mm f/2 STM Lens

Hi, to start with I don't really have first hand experience, but I have a friend that really likes his Sony RX100. (And I fully trust his photography knowledge.) They rather recently released version II of it and he's probably upgrading soon. (And then I may buy his version I). Depending on your requirements this one may not be the best option, but my friend calls it "the best camera that actually fits in a shirt pocket". Since you're considering the G1X you may not require a really compact camera, and then there may be better options.

Have you considered the 40 mm pancake lens by Canon? slap that thing onto any Canon DSLR and that is an easy walk around lens and camera system. Paired with a neoprene camera strap (Black Rapid for example) and if you don't carry a camera bag, you'll feel like you're not even lugging a high quality system around.

I do plan on getting the 40mm, but that on a 5D3 isn't very discreet. I want something with decent range that I can fit in my pocket, something close to the range I have with the 24-105. That's why I'm leaning towards the Powershot G series. I wish the G1X had the lens that the newest G has, then it would be a very easy decision. I'll probably still get the G1X though simply because of the sensor, a shame it doesn't have the f/1.8-2.8 that the G16 has though.

Also, I'm aware that the G cameras aren't exactly pocketable, but they're small enough for what I'm looking for.

When I had a G1X, the autofocus lag time was constantly frustrating me, it is very slow compared to the G15 or the M. Depends on what you are planning to photograph, it didn't work too well for kids! The M or the 40mm on the 5D3 are both better options, from my experience. Good luck! Let us know what you end up with, I would like to find the same thing, but it doesn't seem that Canon has an offering that fits that niche (near DSLR IQ that fits in a pocket).

Sony RX-100. It's been our backup camera all year while travelling and not only is it a workhorse it takes amazing photos. Seriously, I leave the 5D3 at home quite often and just take it out when I'm feeling lazy.

Ben.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/ben_taylor_au/ www.methodicallymuddled.wordpress.com
    Canon 5D Mark III | Canon 5D Mark II | Samyang 14mm f/2.8 | Canon 35mm f/1.4L USM | Sigma 85mm f/1.4 EX DG HSM |Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II |Canon 2 x Teleconverter III | Canon 580 EX II Speedlite | Really Right Stuff TVC 34L | Really Right Stuff BH55 LR | Gorillapod Focus | Really Right Stuff BH 30

Quote Originally Posted by DavidWare View Post
    Also, I'm aware that the G cameras aren't exactly pocketable, but they're small enough for what I'm looking for.
    In that case, I'd go with the EOS M. It's smaller than the G-series, has a bigger sensor, and is cheaper at the present time. Only negative is that a new one will likely be along soon...but the new one will not be as cheap. The M can also serve as a backup camera, with the mount adapter you can use your EF and EF-S lenses.

For something truly pocketable, the Sony RX-100 or RX-100 II, as mentioned above.

I have the Canon PowerShot S100, which is a good little camera that's truly pocketable (not considering cargo pants that you'd need for the M or G series!). At the time I bought it, it was the largest sensor in a camera that size that shot RAW, but if the RX100 had been out, I'd have bought that, instead.