Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Aurora Photography - lessons and learnings

Hi Pat - Your photo at f/2 looks pretty similar to what I get with that lens. Yes there is coma in the corners, and it shows up as radial streaks through the stars. After seeing how bad it was at f/1.4, I was actually quite pleased with the performance at f/2. I have another chance at northern aurora photography in a few weeks, and if I get bright lights then I will try shooting at f/2.8 and even f/4 to see the difference. But the coma at f/2 doesn't bother me at all... it's a negligible tradeoff for the ability to shoot at a faster shutter speed.

For reference, here is the Perseid meteor shot that I posted a while ago, taken at f/1.4. This shot is uncropped, so you can see the extent of the coma in the corners. Since then I shoot at f/2.
    Name:  A39Q7116.jpg
Views: 125
Size:  163.1 KB
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	A39Q7116.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	189.3 KB 
ID:	2018  
    Last edited by Jonathan Huyer; 10-09-2013 at 05:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan Huyer View Post
    Hi Pat - Your photo at f/2 looks pretty similar to what I get with that lens. Yes there is coma in the corners, and it shows up as radial streaks through the stars. After seeing how bad it was at f/1.4, I was actually quite pleased with the performance at f/2. I have another chance at northern aurora photography in a few weeks, and if I get bright lights then I will try shooting at f/2.8 and even f/4 to see the difference. But the coma at f/2 doesn't bother me at all... it's a negligible tradeoff for the ability to shoot at a faster shutter speed.

For reference, here is the Perseid meteor shot that I posted a while ago, taken at f/1.4. This shot is uncropped, so you can see the extent of the coma in the corners. Since then I shoot at f/2.
    Thanks for the input, and I think it matches what Busted Knuckles pointed out as well. I wanted to get my mind calibrated on what was normal. I can see you have the same issue at f/1.4, and it sounds like at f/2 as well (just to a lesser extent). So I am probably being a little over picky. I will have a little time tonight to play around with it tonight, and I have a replacement camera in hand also.

But overall... the camera and lens are great, and the night time ability met my expectations. Wow... what a differece from the 7D in all aspects (not just in its low light capability). It is amazing how many stars show up with a relitively short shutter speed.

Thanks all for the comments and suggestions.

Pat
    5DS R, 1D X, 7D, Sigma 10-20mm f/4-5.6, 24mm f/1.4L II, 16-35mm f/4L IS, 24-105mm f/4L, 50mm f/1.8, 100mm Macro f/2.8L, 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II, 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L, 580EX-II
    flickr