Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 1D MKii vs 550D and vs 70D

mhhenn,

To ask a couple of questions, why do you want to upgrade? Do you find something deficient with your current set up? Is there something you find desirable about the 70D?

There are a couple of online resources that evaluate cameras, TDP being my favorite one. But to answer your question, I went to DXOmark. Now, DXO is fairly well maligned as they ultimately try to compress a camera's image quality into a single number and also have a tendency to try to declare "winners" between camera bodies. Neither of these makes people happy. But, they do publish their test results, which you can find here for the three camera bodies in question.

I only did a quick scroll through, but at least in terms of sensor performance, the DXO test results for these three camera bodies make them look very similar to me. Their "overall" score is +/- 1 pt. If you look under "Measurements" you can see the more direct comparisons that I prefer. In it, signal to noise ratio,tonal range, and color sensitivity are very similar, almost having to look at specific ISO results to differentiate. I give dynamic range to the 550D and 70D. But, overall, these are very similar results. So I would expect very similar image quality from these three bodies. At least, it will take a lot of detailed analysis to tell the difference, which may explain what you are seeing in your evaluation.

So, if that is correct, it gets down to features. Is there a feature you want on the 70D in comparison to what you currently own? If yes, upgrade. If no, start buying flashes, tripods, and lenses or just go out and shoot with what you have.

Good luck,
    Brant
    Last edited by Kayaker72; 10-11-2013 at 11:20 AM.

Hi Brant,

Quote Originally Posted by Kayaker72 View Post
    mhhenn,

To ask a couple of questions, why do you want to upgrade? Do you find something deficient with your current set up? Is there something you find desirable about the 70D?
    The topic went a bit out of the way My point from the beginning was to know if any one knew if the IQ on ISO < 800 had any big difference between the 1D MKii, 550D and the 70D. Since most of the reviews normally compare the new version with the previous model, I was a little lost on the matter.
    But answering your question. Considering that the IQ is very good on all cameras, I don't really have a reason to upgrade. I do like that the 70D has the Af system from the 7D, that it uses SD memory cards and that the lcd screen is articulated and that is it I think. I never tried the touch screen so I can't know if I will like or not. Bottom line, now that I know that the IQs' are similar, I am good
    Quote Originally Posted by Kayaker72 View Post
    There are a couple of online resources that evaluate cameras, TDP being my favorite one. But to answer your question, I went to DXOmark. Now, DXO is fairly well maligned as they ultimately try to compress a camera's image quality into a single number and also have a tendency to try to declare "winners" between camera bodies. Neither of these makes people happy. But, they do publish their test results, which you can find here for the three camera bodies in question.
    That was exactly what I was looking for!! Thank you!! Better than that just if they had 1 photo from each with the same settings and same image processing

Thank you again and good luck to you too!

Mathias

Quote Originally Posted by mhhenn View Post
    Hi Brant,

That was exactly what I was looking for!! Thank you!! Better than that just if they had 1 photo from each with the same settings and same image processing

Mathias
    Try these
    They did not have much on the 1D but the 1DmkIIn is the same
    1DmkIIn vs 550D
    1DmkIIn vs 70D

I see the link does not pull up the comparison but just select the cameras and enjoy.
    Mark

Quote Originally Posted by clemmb View Post
    Hey Mark! I had a look on it and forgot to say thank you!

Great website and really interesting controlled image comparisons!

Thank you for sharing!