Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 1D MKii vs 550D and vs 70D

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mhhenn View Post
    Hi Brant,

That was exactly what I was looking for!! Thank you!! Better than that just if they had 1 photo from each with the same settings and same image processing

Mathias
    Try these
    They did not have much on the 1D but the 1DmkIIn is the same
    1DmkIIn vs 550D
    1DmkIIn vs 70D

I see the link does not pull up the comparison but just select the cameras and enjoy.
    Mark

Quote Originally Posted by clemmb View Post
    Hey Mark! I had a look on it and forgot to say thank you!

Great website and really interesting controlled image comparisons!

Thank you for sharing!

Quote Originally Posted by jrw View Post
    One suggestion would be to shoot in raw formats to compare bodies and convert/process using the same software outputting the results to your largest expected print size, or other output device. If you don't see a noticeable difference based on what you use the camera for then don't fret over pixel peeping differences.
    That is probably the best idea. I tried doing that yesterday, and I had the impression that the 1D MKii had softer images, but I will have to test it again, as I don't think I got 2 fair images to compare since the crop and max resolution are different. I will have to spend a little more time and do it again in a more controlled situation.

Has anyone else tried that as well?

Can not recommend using the camera LCD screen to review images. Old screens weren't that great to begin with. The image on the screen is not the same image as the camera captured. It is a reduced resolution low quality preview JPEG.
    I think that with a bigger and with more dots screen from now days is possible to have an idea if the image is more or less good, what I cannot say about the 2" 230,000 dots from the 1D MKii, so a good LCD screen in my opinion is very useful to do the first filter on the photos taken.

Number of pixels needed depends on what you are doing with your images. Only takes a few MP to share online or make small prints. This is why I recommend outputting to the largest size that you are likely to use when trying to compare bodies to see if there is a difference based on your actual usage of the images.
    This makes perfect sense, but I think is valid to know how they compare on their biggest output as well.

I know that the number of pixels just matters depending in what you do with your images, but I fell good when I open the photo in its maximum size and it make my 24" screen look small, so I rather spend a bit more and keep this useless pleasure