Thread: Camera body or lens, the big delema

Camera body or lens, the big delema

I know none of you know me but i'm trying to figure out which way to go, a body or lens. The wife has givin me permission to make a purchase and I'm torn which way to go.

Just a bit about me. I started shooting because of landscape and nature and my first camera was a T2i and a Sigma 18-125 lens. I then added a 35 f/2 a Tamron 70-300, and a 50 f/1.8. Since I started shooting, i've been doing more people in a jounlistic like style with only the 50 f/1.8 on a crop sensor body and a lot of portraits (unpayed) Mostly right now I have been following with pretty much just the samething, prime, with shooting my son and I have 3 requests for paid portrait/family shoots which the 50 will be my go to.

My delima is I want a better walk around lens and I want to replace my T2i with something a little more professional. I've been hanging out on Adorama used and really fallen for an old 1D mkIII (not the 1 Ds, i wish) for $999.00 and a Canon 28-70 f/2.8 L for $799. I wish I could do both but just can't. I know bodys come and go but glass lasts and I should think of the Lens. But the geek in me wants a 1D body even if it is a 1.3 crop and will make landscapes difficult but I'll still have the T2i. I've been using just the 50 for the last 9 months on a 40D so i'm very comfortable with living with that range and the 10.1 MP which should be better on the 1.3 crop over the 1.6 crop. Plus, if I get more photo gigs i want something that looks professional and has a more advanced even though older AF system than the T2i. I know the 40D focuses better at 1.8 than my T2i has been, another reason for the 1D is micro adjustments. I would go with the 17-55 f/2.8 but I know I will go to full frame eventually. I've read that the older 28-70 may have been better than the gen 1 24-70 but no where near the 24-70 II.

Now that I've totally bord you, what do you think? (Sorry my ipad spell check is not checking in this text box)

Hi Mike,

It sounds like you know what you are getting into. You may want to see if prices for the 6D or a used 5DII drop to a level that you are comfortable with in the near future. If you are shooting primarily landscape and portrait I think you would benefit more from the full frame sensor and higher resolution versus the speed and AF benefits of the 1DIII.

The only other thing I'll add is that at current prices the 24-105 is an outstanding value.

Good luck.

I would agree that going full frame would be a great move for your stated shooting style. As PatrickH pointed out, 5DII's are coming down on price in the used marketplace and that "pro feel" can be achieved with a grip.

But to answer the question about body or glass.......L glass is a tremendous investment that you would not regret. That comes with a warning that L glass can quickly become an addiction.

Good luck with the decision!

Dan
    There is beauty in simplicity.

1DX | 16-35L II | 24-70L II | 50/1.2L | 70-200/2.8L IS II | 100L Macro | 100-400L II | 300/2.8L IS II | 1.4x III TC | 2x III TC | 580EX II | MT-24EX | lots of stuff

I believe it was 2008, but it was with the release of the 24mm f/1.4L II, Canon started using a Sub Wavelength Coating and you can tell the difference in the IQ of the lens made after that. It is a subtle difference but enough that I notice the improvement from older lenses. The lens you mentioned is much older.

If the 28-70 is about the same quality as the 24-70mm that doesn't impress me. I owned the 24-70mm and I chose to use primes over that lens. But if funds are limited it would be a good one.

The 1D III would be a good camera, but it is built for speed and sports. That was its target market. I would prefer a full frame body like a 5D II for the type of work you mentioned.

Glass, glass, glass.

The sensor on the t2i is effectively the same as on the 7d and t5i only slightly eclipsed by the 70d.

get a grip for the t2i if you want a look of the camera, get a lens if you want the look on your images
    If you see me with a wrench, call 911

I second the glass, glass, glass comment.

Also, if you're into landscape and nature, you do NOT want a 1D. You can't get as wide as either FF or 1.6x crop. This surprises some people, so I'll explain: with a traditional 1.6x crop camera, you can get the EF-S 10-22 (effectively a 16-35). On FF, you can do either a 16-35 (same EFL as the 10-22 mentioned already) or the 14/2.8 (a little wider no doubt). However, on the 1D, the best you can do is 14/2.8 (effectively a 18.2mm lens, and over $2000 to get there).

Save the 1-series body for when you're ready to spend money on the feel of taking the photo. Until then, spend your money on the things that'll matter, which in my opinion are good lenses and entry-level bodies that have been on the market no more than 2 years. (This is coming from a 1D III owner.)

While it sounds like you have researched your options and have done your homework, I am humbly going to suggest either the EFS 17-55 f/2.8 ($829 new or $570 used on Amazon) or, and my recommendation, the EFS 15-85 ($699 new and $499 used). Both of these are great walk around lenses for a cropped sensor. Then, if budget still allows, and pick up a used Canon 50D ($350-$410 on Amazon) or a 60D ($699 new or $550 used). Just a thought. Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

Thanks for all the info, I really apreciate it! Plenty for me to think about. I'll let you all know what the final purchase is here soon :-)

BTW....just checked and if you wanted to go full frame, a used Canon 5D I (or 5Dc) is going for $525-575 on Amazon. You could combine that with a new or used 24-105 f/4 ($630 on Amazon). I've never used the 5Dc, but I read good things and the 24-105 is great on FF.