Thread: Banff National Park advice

Banff National Park advice

My wife and I are planning to go to Banff at some point in the next year or so. We want to do a lot of hiking and exploring.The place is amazingly beautiful and I want to get the most out of it activity wise and photography wise. Does anyone have any advice on what to do, where to stay, etc? We want to stay in
    Lake Louise & Chateau Hotel
    for a night or two and then stay in a much cheaper room for the rest of the trip. I would think we'd want to go for at least two weeks.
    --

Don't ! Try one of the lodges nearby - lots of choice based on different budgets, eat locally, but make sure you book a table.

Be flexible and keep ahead of the masses of coaches - lots to see off the beaten track, I'd recommend some hiking books

Hi James -

Great decision to come and visit my backyard! I'd be delighted to help steer you in the direction of some fabulous hiking and photo opportunities. Personally my favourite time of year in the mountains is just wrapping up, being from mid-September to mid-October. My next favourite is the middle of winter, and my least favourite is summer (it's kind of busy, and the sunrises and sunsets are too early and late). The Chateau Lake Louise would be a treat, although a slightly overpriced one. I believe the rooms are a bit cheaper if you opt for the non-view side (facing away from the lake). I don't know why you would want a view of the lake from your room anyway, because you will be getting your best view when you're outside, standing on the shore for sunrise! If you get in touch with me by personal message I can fill you in on all kinds of advice. Meanwhile I would definitely recommend these e-books:
    http://www.oopoomoo.com/ebook/banff-national-park/
    http://www.oopoomoo.com/ebook/the-icefields-parkway/

Happy planning!