Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: 1D X Tips and Tricks

Quote Originally Posted by Joel Eade View Post
    Since I have become used to fully manual and can adjust things quickly as it is now I don't know if I would use AE lock in manual mode. It seems like it would be a combination of both shutter and aperture priority modes, or a fully automatic mode once you set the exposure.
    "A combination of both shutter and aperture priority modes"?

I'm not quite sure whether you are just giving this feature a different formulation, or whether I didn't explain the feature well enough for it to be fully understood.

It's just a shortcut that, for every click of one wheel in one direction, automatically does a click of the other wheel in the other direction, so that you keep the same exposure...

I think I get it.....the exposure stays constant or "locked"

When you change shutter speed the f-stop automatically changes (like Tv mode) and when you change f-stop the shutter speed automatically changes (like Av mode).

Is this correct?

Quote Originally Posted by Colin500 View Post
    It's just a shortcut that, for every click of one wheel in one direction, automatically does a click of the other wheel in the other direction, so that you keep the same exposure...
    That sounds an awful lot like...P Mode. In P mode, rotating the main dial reciprocally adjusts shutter speed and aperture.

You could assign mode change to M.Fn, and restrict modes to just M and P, and that would get you there (as a 'bonus' you get EC with the quick dial in P).

That is why I also described it as a fully automatic mode once the exposure is "locked"

Quote Originally Posted by neuroanatomist View Post
    That sounds an awful lot like...P Mode. In P mode, rotating the main dial reciprocally adjusts shutter speed and aperture.
    It does? Seems that I haven't used P-Mode in a while :-)
    Quote Originally Posted by neuroanatomist View Post
    You could assign mode change to M.Fn, and restrict modes to just M and P, and that would get you there (as a 'bonus' you get EC with the quick dial in P).
    I would still want the initial exposure to be selected manually, however when I switch from M to P the current exposure settings aren't copied, I'm back in automatic exposure land!

Quote Originally Posted by Colin500 View Post
    I would still want the initial exposure to be selected manually, however when I switch from M to P the current exposure settings aren't copied, I'm back in automatic exposure land!
    Frankly, it's just too complicated for me. I think you need to decide if you want manual exposure or not. If you do, IT'S MANUAL. If not, IT'S (possibly SEMI-)AUTOMATIC. Of course AE is useless in M...unless you turn a wheel, the exposure is already locked.

How are you arriving at this initial manual exposure that you want to lock? Are you making a rough guess, then taking a shot, and reviewing it on the screen w/ histogram? Are you relying on the camera's meter and watching the triangle in the viewfinder? Honestly you might want to try P with exposure compensation, then spin the little wheel to adjust your aperture/shutter pair.
    We're a Canon/Profoto family: five cameras, sixteen lenses, fifteen Profoto lights, too many modifiers.

Quote Originally Posted by peety3 View Post
    Honestly you might want to try P with exposure compensation, then spin the little wheel to adjust your aperture/shutter pair.
    Good point, especially coupled with the 1-series capability to specify ranges (min/max) for shutter speed and aperture.

Quote Originally Posted by peety3 View Post
    How are you arriving at this initial manual exposure that you want to lock? Are you making a rough guess, then taking a shot, and reviewing it on the screen w/ histogram?
    What I'm suggesting is not an automatic or semi-automatic exposure. I'm running around somewhere, shooting in M as usual. At some point I want to change the depth-of-field but the exposure I chose earlier and was shooting at was already correct. So when I change the aperture to change the dof I need to compensate by changing the exposure time. So I for every click of one wheel I need to click the other wheel, too. The EV-Lock, while engaged, would automatically perform this compensating change to the second wheel. No automatic exposure, it's still all M, it sounds like you are reading too much into this feature.

Makes sense to me.....you can lock the exposure yet still make a quick change of shutter speed or aperture to suit the current image being taken and the camera makes a reciprocal change to shutter speed or aperture to keep the exposure constant. Basically allows changing parameters with one of the wheels instead of two while staying in M mode and keeping the chosen exposure constant.

Quote Originally Posted by Joel Eade View Post
    Makes sense to me.....you can lock the exposure yet still make a quick change of shutter speed or aperture to suit the current image being taken and the camera makes a reciprocal change to shutter speed or aperture to keep the exposure constant. Basically allows changing parameters with one of the wheels instead of two while staying in M mode and keeping the chosen exposure constant.
    Exactly! (One wheel would be aperture/exposure time balance, and the other one could be a choice of anything else that you can put on a wheel.) Plus this is a really simple thing to implement.