Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 1D X Tips and Tricks

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Joel Eade View Post
    Since I have become used to fully manual and can adjust things quickly as it is now I don't know if I would use AE lock in manual mode. It seems like it would be a combination of both shutter and aperture priority modes, or a fully automatic mode once you set the exposure.
    "A combination of both shutter and aperture priority modes"?

I'm not quite sure whether you are just giving this feature a different formulation, or whether I didn't explain the feature well enough for it to be fully understood.

It's just a shortcut that, for every click of one wheel in one direction, automatically does a click of the other wheel in the other direction, so that you keep the same exposure...

Quote Originally Posted by Colin500 View Post
    It's just a shortcut that, for every click of one wheel in one direction, automatically does a click of the other wheel in the other direction, so that you keep the same exposure...
    That sounds an awful lot like...P Mode. In P mode, rotating the main dial reciprocally adjusts shutter speed and aperture.

You could assign mode change to M.Fn, and restrict modes to just M and P, and that would get you there (as a 'bonus' you get EC with the quick dial in P).

Quote Originally Posted by neuroanatomist View Post
    That sounds an awful lot like...P Mode. In P mode, rotating the main dial reciprocally adjusts shutter speed and aperture.
    It does? Seems that I haven't used P-Mode in a while :-)
    Quote Originally Posted by neuroanatomist View Post
    You could assign mode change to M.Fn, and restrict modes to just M and P, and that would get you there (as a 'bonus' you get EC with the quick dial in P).
    I would still want the initial exposure to be selected manually, however when I switch from M to P the current exposure settings aren't copied, I'm back in automatic exposure land!

Quote Originally Posted by Colin500 View Post
    I would still want the initial exposure to be selected manually, however when I switch from M to P the current exposure settings aren't copied, I'm back in automatic exposure land!
    Frankly, it's just too complicated for me. I think you need to decide if you want manual exposure or not. If you do, IT'S MANUAL. If not, IT'S (possibly SEMI-)AUTOMATIC. Of course AE is useless in M...unless you turn a wheel, the exposure is already locked.

How are you arriving at this initial manual exposure that you want to lock? Are you making a rough guess, then taking a shot, and reviewing it on the screen w/ histogram? Are you relying on the camera's meter and watching the triangle in the viewfinder? Honestly you might want to try P with exposure compensation, then spin the little wheel to adjust your aperture/shutter pair.
    We're a Canon/Profoto family: five cameras, sixteen lenses, fifteen Profoto lights, too many modifiers.

I think I get it.....the exposure stays constant or "locked"

When you change shutter speed the f-stop automatically changes (like Tv mode) and when you change f-stop the shutter speed automatically changes (like Av mode).

Is this correct?

That is why I also described it as a fully automatic mode once the exposure is "locked"

Makes sense to me.....you can lock the exposure yet still make a quick change of shutter speed or aperture to suit the current image being taken and the camera makes a reciprocal change to shutter speed or aperture to keep the exposure constant. Basically allows changing parameters with one of the wheels instead of two while staying in M mode and keeping the chosen exposure constant.

Quote Originally Posted by Joel Eade View Post
    Makes sense to me.....you can lock the exposure yet still make a quick change of shutter speed or aperture to suit the current image being taken and the camera makes a reciprocal change to shutter speed or aperture to keep the exposure constant. Basically allows changing parameters with one of the wheels instead of two while staying in M mode and keeping the chosen exposure constant.
    Exactly! (One wheel would be aperture/exposure time balance, and the other one could be a choice of anything else that you can put on a wheel.) Plus this is a really simple thing to implement.

Not sure this is a tip or trick, but....

How often should we expect to clean the sensor. 3,500 or so frames and several spots have appeared. Didn't seem to have this issue w/ my 5dIII. It took a long time to get spots on the sensor.

Thoughts?
    Last edited by Busted Knuckles; 11-26-2017 at 06:21 PM.
    If you see me with a wrench, call 911

Quote Originally Posted by Busted Knuckles View Post
    Not sure this is a tip or trick, but....

How often should we expect to clean the sensor. 3,500 or so frames and several spots have appeared. Didn't seem to have this issue w/ my 5dIII. It took a long time to get spots on the sensor.

Thoughts?
    I clean my sensor fairly often. My APS-C cameras only very rarely get dust, but my 1D X attracts it like a Swiffer. Rocket Blower, Visible Dust Arctic Butterfly and a Sensor Loupe are all I've needed (I have Sensor Stamps just in case).