Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 1D X Tips and Tricks

1D X Tips and Tricks

Starting a thread dedicated to tips/tricks/settings that are only possible on the 1D X.

I'll start...

The 1-series cameras can save the current camera settings to a card, up to 10 sets, and load them on demand. The 1D X is the first 1-series body to feature Camera User Settings (C#). The combination makes for a powerful way to manage groups of settings, since the three C# settings are saved and loaded along with other settings.

For example, I have an Outdoors set, where C1 is for landscapes on a tripod with MLU, etc., C2 for static birds/wildlife, and C3 for BIF. I've got a People set, C1 for tripod shots with me in them (10 s timer), C2 for static shooting (min 1/125 s, manual AF point selection), C3 for moving kids (1/250 s min shutter, 61-pt AI Servo). I also have sets for Sports, a set with settings most useful for shooting birds with a supertele lens (higher minimum shutter speed, etc), and another set for manual AFMA with the FoCal settings.

I store them all on a few old, smaller CF cards carried in the pocket of my Blackrapid RS-4 strap and commonly used camera bags, with a backup of the settings files (.CSD) on my computer.

To make it easy/fast to switch between C# modes, I assigned mode switching to the M.Fn button next to the shutter release. Pressing that cycles through the C# modes (in order) and the last-selected non-C mode. I also use the ability to restrict the available modes - for example, in the Outdoors and People sets, I have the C1 setting disabled, since those shots are on a tripod, meaning I have the luxury of time. So, I can be on C2 and if action starts, I'm one press of the M.Fn button away from the C3 action settings (and two presses back to C2).

I find this setup really facilitates having the camera settings where I need them, when I need them.

interesting topic, even without owning a 1D X.
    You said "only possible on the 1D X". Would it make sense to include useful features that are also available on the 5D III? That would increase the audience who can benefit from this thread. Or is the number of shared features to small?
    Arnt

Quote Originally Posted by ahab1372 View Post
    interesting topic, even without owning a 1D X.
    You said "only possible on the 1D X". Would it make sense to include useful features that are also available on the 5D III? That would increase the audience who can benefit from this thread. Or is the number of shared features to small?
    It probably would make sense, except this thread is under the topic 1-Series Cameras in the forum.
    I guess the 5D series bodies do not rate their own separate tab on the forum and it would have to be under Canon Digital SLR Cameras.
    I think such a thread should get a sticky and if the moderators would delete any fluff or trolling and just leave the tips it would be very useful.

What excellent advice --- thanks John! I know that I don't come anywhere close to taking advantage of all the features on the 1DX. But this is one that I will definitely implement.

I also recommend you to take a look at the various abilities to change more or less of the camera's setup by pressing/holding a button. There are some useful capabilities there, and more will come with the announced firmware update, once it becomes available in January.

Thanks Neuro - I use the camera custom settings (C1, C2, C3) while shooting volleyball to switch action and portrait type shot settings quickly but had not realized the potential you just revealed. I will definitely try this out - I especially like the M.Fn button to switch modes. The one thing I like less about the 1Dx than the 5DMKIII (in addition to the super loud shutter, OK 2 things...), is the lack of the dial to switch modes b/c the dial is faster.

Quote Originally Posted by Vern View Post
    The one thing I like less about the 1Dx than the 5DMKIII (in addition to the super loud shutter, OK 2 things...), is the lack of the dial to switch modes b/c the dial is faster.
    +1... but probably better weather sealing without the dial.
    5DS R, 1D X, 7D, Sigma 10-20mm f/4-5.6, 24mm f/1.4L II, 16-35mm f/4L IS, 24-105mm f/4L, 50mm f/1.8, 100mm Macro f/2.8L, 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II, 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L, 580EX-II
    flickr

Quote Originally Posted by Vern View Post
    The one thing I like less about the 1Dx than the 5DMKIII (in addition to the super loud shutter, OK 2 things...), is the lack of the dial to switch modes b/c the dial is faster.
    OTOH, the 1D X displays the currently selected shooting mode in the viewfinder (unlike the 5DIII), so you can change modes without taking your eye away from the VF or shifting your grip on the camera.

Quote Originally Posted by neuroanatomist View Post
    Starting a thread dedicated to tips/tricks/settings that are only possible on the 1D X.

I store them all on a few old, smaller CF cards carried in the pocket of my Blackrapid RS-4 strap and commonly used camera bags
    To make it easy/fast to switch between C# modes, I assigned mode switching to the M.Fn button next to the shutter release. Pressing that cycles through the C# modes (in order) and the last-selected non-C mode.
    These are both really good ideas.

Quote Originally Posted by neuroanatomist View Post
    OTOH, the 1D X displays the currently selected shooting mode in the viewfinder (unlike the 5DIII), so you can change modes without taking your eye away from the VF or shifting your grip on the camera.
    What I don't like about either is that I can't directly and simply change a C# mode from M to Av...