Hello everyone I would like to get your input please. I live in a historical town and a cool situation came about where I was only one of only two other photographers. This involved a person and a replica spanish ship in the shot. The person is an aquantance on mine and I told her I woild give her photo. She is also a member of the historical aspects that happen here. She said whe would give a copy of the photo to her friend on the ship. (The ship also has a photographer for all of the advertising and and website for the ship). So this got my wheels turning, I may be able to get some recognition for these photos. I am by far not a pro in my photography so this recognition thing has me feeling that may view me as full of ego. I do not sell my work yet, but I hope to in the future, nothing big, just selling prints in a park with other artists. There was even a man who gave me his business card the day I took the photo and said to contact him to put one of my shots on his site, I don't know why because he had his own camera. Maybe it was because of my 7d, and because I was laying in the sand taking the shots, Ha!
I don't expect to make big money for these photos, but I feel if they are going to be posted somewhere I would like my name in the corner. And I would like the rights to sell the prints, not giving the photo to someone else and let them profit and everyone thinking they took the shot.
I know I should probably have the person in the photo sign a model release since it may be used for advertising by someone else for our city.
My question is what should this model release say? Also, to copyright these photos. How do I do that? Is there special one print copywright?
Do you think I may have a problem with the ship as well, like they may have the rights to the photos?
Any input would be greatly appreciated, I would like to protect myself as much as possible. Anything else I should be thinking about?
Thank you, naturac