Quote Originally Posted by HDNitehawk View Post
I can think of several other reasons for a mirrorless, but these items can be done with a normal DSLR as well if Canon would add a few things.

I do not know how you compose your landscapes and waterfalls, but if I am shooting off the tripod I almost never use the mirror. It is almost always in live mode with the mirror up. It is hard to bend over at odd angles and look through viewfinders. Live view works well for this but when you get at real odd angles it is even hard to see the screen. I wouldn't need a mirror at all for landscape work off a tripod. A flip screen would be very handy. High MP would be a welcomed benefit as well. A fast AF in live view would be welcomed to. It is not always easy to get my face to the viewfinder at the location I want to shoot.
I am shooting from a tripod more and more. I use live view if I have my 10 stop filter on as live view can focus through a 10 stop ND filter whereas the conventional phase detect AF can not. I typically prefer composing a shot through the OVF, when possible, I just like that experience better. I agree there are angles where a flip screen would be handy, but I seriously doubt one ever makes it to the 1D bodies, where the highest premium is put on construction, weather sealing and durability.

Eventually, it would be nice if Canon had some sort of line up like the following:
  • P&S
  • APS-C
    • Mirrorless
      • EOS-M low end version (priced with rebel)
      • EOS-M high end version (priced with XXD)

• Rebel-Low end
    • Rebel-High end
    • XXD
    • 7DXX

• FF
    • Mirrorless
      • Rangefinder style (priced with 6Dx)

• 6Dxx
    • 5Dxx
    • 1DX-x

• Cinema series
  • MF
    • ??

I intentionally omitted the long rumored "High MP" 3D/4D, whatever it is going to be. I can see them splitting the 1D series with one version aimed at landscape/fashion photographers (high MP) and the other aimed at sport/wildlife photographers (current 1DX). Or, I could just as easily seem them not splitting the series, trying to find common ground with the 1DX and offering MF to those that want extremely high resolution.

So, in that lineup, I've added a high end version of the APS-C EOS-M and a Rangefinder FF mirrorless, and subtracted 2 different versions of the rebel (there are currently 4) and the 60D/60Da. Eventually consolidate the two EOS-M's and two Rebels into 3.

Anyways, that is just me. Overall, the future may be mirrorless. I personally suspect if it is it will be cost driven and not so much due to benefits to the photographer. I, of one, would miss the OVF.