Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 5D MkIII AWB

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

5D MkIII AWB

Got a question for the 5D MkIII crowd. Do you find auto white balance to be consistent in the same lighting? Mine has a flaky AWB, I think. I can shoot on continuous and end up with 4 or 5 frames taken in a second where two of them will have different WB than the others. And shooting in unchanging lighting during a session will always give me wildly differing WB. It makes it hard to correct one image and apply that correction to a set. My 6D is far more reliable when it comes to consistent WB. I'm just wondering if my MkIII has a correctable issue. Below is an example. I realize they're OOF. I'm still trying to get used to BBF and sometimes I forget to hit the button when changing subjects.

Mark - Flickr

For the sake of asking, why not choose a WB preset that matches the lighting you're in? Or why not set/forget the WB and shoot in RAW, then batch-adjust in post to match the lighting you were in?

Fluorescent lighting in the room?
    That is what it looks like to me, the unsteady lighting of fluorescent.

Quote Originally Posted by HDNitehawk View Post
    Fluorescent lighting in the room?
    That is what it looks like to me, the unsteady lighting of fluorescent.
    That may be it. I should have thought of that. I've been burned by that before with orange banding when shooting at high shutter speeds. The shutter speed is faster than the cycle time of the fluorescent lighting, so you get the banding. I bet that's exactly what's happening here. As I think back, all my WB issues with the 5D MkIII have been when I was shooting campus events in these buildings, which all have some form of fluorescent lighting to some degree.

Now I feel stupid. Although I'm glad it's not an issue with the camera. Thanks, Hawk. I appreciate the education.
    Mark - Flickr

I do not have the 5D III, but I have never had much luck with the AWB of the 5D II with inside building lighting. I always thought it was one of Canon's weaknesses.
    Anymore I do like petty3 suggested and just take care of it in PP.

+1 with issue with fluorescent/mixed lighting. Not so much the inconsistency you are seeing, but definitely not as accurate.

I have had this happen before when shooting available light in the same condition you mention. The Fluorescent light is not a constant color light thus its color temperature fluctuates causing what you see. Try adding some additional flash gelled to match and POW consistent results!
    Owner of Deevers Photography. If you have some time, visit my website at deeversphoto.com.

I have a 5D Mark III and never have trouble with white balance. What metering mode are you using? The metering mode makes a big difference.

Quote Originally Posted by iso79 View Post
    I have a 5D Mark III and never have trouble with white balance. What metering mode are you using? The metering mode makes a big difference.
    Care to enlighten us on which metering mode serves you best? I'm having a hard time believing that metering mode and AWB are interrelated, but I'm intrigued to try it.

They aren't related. But if you expose brighter, then areas that are supposed to be white will look brighter, which to us is "whiter", so one can get the impression that there's a relation to exposure.
    After all, from a white balance point of view, black, grey and white are all the same color, just with different luminosity.