Thread: Gitzo tripod GT2541 - EX or not

Gitzo tripod GT2541 - EX or not

Hi there,

It's been a long time I haven't been here but I'm coming back with a question.

I plan to buy a new tripod and I was thinking of going for the Gitzo GT2541. But now, I'm hesitating between the explorer version and the mountaineer version (i.e the GT2541EX or GT2541).

Has anybody one of them, both, tried them, any opinion on the subject ?!?

Note that if I go for the mountaineer, I could also go for the 3541 to match the sizes/weight... but with a max load bonus.

Thanks for your inputs.

GT2541EX: http://www.gitzo.co.uk/ser2-6x-explorer-4-s-g-lock
    GT2541: http://www.gitzo.co.uk/series-2-6x-m...od-with-g-lock

Hey Steph,

I bought the GT1541T last year. It may have been my favorite photography related purchase last year. It is great and does exactly what I wanted it to do. It is small, compact and very light. I added a Markins Q3T ballhead and have really enjoyed the combination. Here is the link to my thread. I ended up learning a lot in the process.

In addition to the Gitzo, take a look at RRS. I ended up buying their plates, but they and Gitzo seem to be the top of the line.

So, I can tell you that Gitzo is good, which is best depends on your intended us. What kind of camera/lens combination? Are you going hiking, or is this just for general use. If size and weight matter, then the GT2541 (or GT1541T/GT1542T ). I'd personally probably stay with the mountaineer for simplicity sake. Also, the functionality of the explorer can be added with various products.

Good luck,
    Brant

I own the GT2541EX;

The positives;
    It can be manipulated in to any position you want and is very versatile. I have used it in configurations that have held the camera out over the side of cliffs before. (try that with your standard three legs)
    For macro (which is why I bought it) you can shoot under over and around the legs.
    It is solid overall.
    The legs adjust easily and quickly to different lengths and the lock is very positive.
    The lever that tilts the legs can position them at any angle you want.

The negatives;
    As a backpack tripod it will be heavier than other models.
    Watch the feet, they screw loose. I have heard that some people use lock tight on the threads. I just keep a few extra.
    It is a bit shakier than others when vertical, only because your lens is offset from the center of the tripod. The arm connects to the side.
    This side mount gives you the ability to do odd angles, the shakiness is a small compromise.

It is a great tripod, especially if you need something very creative. If you are backpacking, traveling or just need a general tripod others may be better when weight matters.

Consider this tripod a specialty tool, because that is what it is.

As mentioned by HDNitehawk, the macro possibilities were also why I was looking at the EX but stability is something I would prefer not to compromise on. I didn't realise that it might be the case; thanks for the info.

Also, I didn't consider the L version but its extra 20 cm for only 5 cm when closed might come handy... I think I'll go like jrw with the 3541L. It's true that it's 2 kg but it will cover most of my needs and for the other cases I still have an old Velbon which is not great but very light.

For the macro/very low positions, I'll probably try the reversed column setup and the ARCA SWISS rails as I have an ARCA SWISS ball head any way.

Thanks for the comments! TDP is always helpful