View Poll Results: Most Desired Improvements in Next Camera Body?

Voters
27. You may not vote on this poll
  • More Megapixels

9 33.33%
  • Better High ISO Noise Performance

17 62.96%
  • Better Low (<400) ISO Noise Performance

6 22.22%
  • Increased Dynamic Range

16 59.26%
  • Better Color Rendition

5 18.52%
  • Increased Frames per Second

8 29.63%
  • RAW Video

2 7.41%
  • Other Improvements in Video (4K, uncompressed output)

1 3.70%
  • Lower Price

7 25.93%
  • None--I own my last dSLR

0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Desired Improvements in the Next Generation of Camera Bodies

Desired Improvements in the Next Generation of Camera Bodies

So, it looks like most of us here would be satisfied with 20-30 MP sensor. David's post has triggered a second question: What improvements are we looking for in the next camera body we will buy?

This poll allows more than one selection, but please limit yourself to three.
    Last edited by Kayaker72; 11-22-2013 at 02:46 PM.

I know it's wishful thinking because it seems to have plateaued, but I'd love to see better ISO performance from crop bodies. As much as I'd love to go FF, my primary photography is birds and nature which would mean a whole new tier of price on lenses.

I'm going to suggest an off the wall desire... a faster generational turnaround on the high-end cameras. I need the servo capabilities of the higher-end bodies, and I'd love the new ISO capabilities of the higher-end bodies, but I cannot afford these bodies, so I have a 1Ds2. If Canon released a new 1D and 5D body each year like they did with the Rebels, it wouldn't be long before the fancy new high-end features would trickle down to an affordable price in the used market.

As that will never happen, I'll vote for vastly improved ISO and noise handling in a 7D2, as that's definitely due for an upgrade. ie: crop body, high-ISO with low noise (Maintaining 1/2000s shutter, and minimal noise, at indoor and/or dusk light levels), with Servo that can keep up with a champion Border Collie or Aussie.
    On Flickr - Namethatnobodyelsetook on Flickr
    R8 | R7 | 7DII | 10-18mm STM | 24-70mm f/4L | Sigma 35mm f/1.4 | 50mm f/1.8 | 85mm f/1.8 | 70-300mm f/4-5.6L | RF 100-500mm f/4-5-7.1L

Quote Originally Posted by DavidEccleston View Post
    ... with Servo that can keep up with a champion Border Collie or Aussie.
    Sorry...forgot to include a selection for improved AF.

I would like a few more MP than the current 18, as long as I can keep my 12 fps. Given that the 1D X shoots 14 fps in JPG with the mirror up, I expect that means CFast cards would be needed for higher data transfer rates while maintaining a fast clearing of the buffer.

Most desired?
    I would desire them all with the exception of two options.
    More FPS, the 12 FPS of the 1D X is enough. If you want more shoot video.
    Second is None- I own my last DSLR. Hopefully I will own a few more.

I didn't vote. I want almost all of it.

Better AF would be on my list. Especially at f8. Any new body coming out should have f8 AF and I'd like to see Canon come up with a firmware fix for f8 AF for the 6D if possible. My 6D will AF fine at f8 using the Kenko TC, but not with the Canon TC.
    Mark - Flickr

I just voted. I actually struggled to answer this myself. I know that while the 5DIII could be my last DSLR, it won't be just because I don't expect it to physically last 40 years. Also, unfortunately, photography is one of the few areas where I let myself get gear I don't necessarily "need."

That said, Canon would have to introduce something pretty spectacular with across the board improvements in order to get me to consider buying it today. DR, Low/High ISO noise, Megapixels, frame rate, etc. But, moving out 2-3 years, I think I would be most interested in a modest increase in megapixels, another 1-2 stops of high ISO noise performance and an increase in dynamic range. Thus those were my votes. But I debated between increased MP, increased DR, low ISO noise and increased fps. Those would all be about equal in value to me.
    Last edited by Kayaker72; 11-22-2013 at 07:26 PM.

Realistic hopes: Smaller Size, more of everything else (dynamic range, ISO, FPS). If FPS gets high enough then an electronic global shutter would be cool.

Hallucinogenic hopes: Interchangeable senors - I.R., Uber low light, uber high mp. (a lens that can resolve it would be nice) With dual pixel/live view focus perpendicular to the axis is more important that precise distance to the flange (remember I am hallucinating).
    If you see me with a wrench, call 911

1. Carbon Fiber composition
    2. Solar cells in front of hot shoe, above Canon logo for battery trickle charging
    3. I chose more megapixels, existing pixel refinement also.
    4. New "joystick", slightly larger, with rubberized grip surface, similar to new xbox controler, incorporating push down to click and twist left and right.
    5. Realistic ergonomics, better placement of buttons rather than only thinking of PCB placement and circuit design.
    6. More ergonomic mappable fingertip controls to do settings on the fly. Located on the inside front of the grip, where the fingertips are when gripping.
    7. Various back lit buttons
    8. Proper video autofocus, leaving primary purpose for photography but allowing usage of the video without requiring $10k of focus gearing and brackets.
    9. Touch Screen
    10. Built in RF flash control to eliminate needless transmitters and receivers when using Canon speedlights.

There are a lot more improvements. This is only the basic physical list.

This 5D is designed the same as cameras 50 years ago. It's made in Japan, where there is a massive 80's era Michael Jackson facility in Tokyo Disney (that almost made me vomit). There is a real disconnect between Japan and reality outside of Japan.

If Samsung, Lamborghini and Versace were running Canon, we might see some real improvements in our lifetimes. meanwhile, the Japanese salary-man works long hours designing something made with an absolute lack of forward thinking, creativity, or concern for the end user.