Thread: Windows 8 Device Driver Issue [7d]

Exclamation Windows 8 Device Driver Issue [7d]

The other day I was doing some product shots to throw on ksl.com classifieds. Shot tethered via a safety orange usb 2.0 cable courtesy of Tether Tools into Lightroom 4. Worked perfectly.

Fast forward a couple days. Did a routine image dump from my cf card to LR using the Canon supplied usb 2.0 cable straight from my camera. So far so good.

Tonight, I attempt to start a tethered session in Lightroom 4.. no device found. I take a couple quick snaps and go to import, 7d is nowhere to be found. I go to My Computer.. 7d isn't listed as a mass storage device, or otherwise. I go to the device manager and the driver isn't listed, I have my computer check for hardware changes, refreshing the list.. no joy. I should also mention that I checked and my version of windows doesn't require the separate download and installation of the Windows Media Feature Pack. It seems Samsung was nice enough to at least give me that much already.

Having worked for Microsoft a couple years ago I think.. "what has changed since it worked last?" I check my update history.. nothing. Apparently the only thing that has changed is my luck.

Any ideas? I'm running out of them. I even updated the firmware on the 7d, and a few other seemingly far fetched ideas. Of course, I can use my external card reader to import the files, but I enjoy shooting tethered, and have every intention of doing so during this year's Help Portrait event.. (http://help-portrait.com/ for anyone that hasn't heard of it. Good stuff.)

I'm at my wits end.. and having been on the engineer side of things I refuse to call MS or Samsung support and go through the motions. Maddening.

Relevant info I guess.. I'm running an OEM licensed Windows 8.1. Pro, I think. Not really sure what the versions are, I got out of the game just after the windows 7 launch. Camera is now running firmware 2.0.3.. it was v2.0.0 when the issue started.

I'm hoping one of you has one of those "I had the exact same problem and here was the easy solution that quickly and efficiently solved my problem, paid my bills, and got a fresh pot of coffee brewing" moments and becomes my new best friend.

Thanks!

-Rocco
    Adobe, give us courage to edit what photos must be altered, serenity to delete what cannot be helped, and the insight to know the one from the other.
    Canon EOS 7D - Canon EF-s 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM - Canon 100mm f/2.8L IS Macro - PCB Einsteins & PW Triggers

Try another USB port on the PC. Perhaps the cable loosened, or the port fried. If another port works, next time you turn off the PC, disconnect power, open it up, and see if you can find a loose cable. Alternatively, check that the port works for another device, like your keyboard or mouse before opening the PC. If the port doesn't work for anything, that's good news for the 7D. If the port on the PC works for other devices, next you'll have to check that it's not fried on the 7D. Hopefully the port on your 7D is fine, but you're going to need a second PC to test that.
    On Flickr - Namethatnobodyelsetook on Flickr
    R8 | R7 | 7DII | 10-18mm STM | 24-70mm f/4L | Sigma 35mm f/1.4 | 50mm f/1.8 | 85mm f/1.8 | 70-300mm f/4-5.6L | RF 100-500mm f/4-5-7.1L

Quote Originally Posted by DavidEccleston View Post
    Try another USB port on the PC. Perhaps the cable loosened, or the port fried. If another port works, next time you turn off the PC, disconnect power, open it up, and see if you can find a loose cable. Alternatively, check that the port works for another device, like your keyboard or mouse before opening the PC. If the port doesn't work for anything, that's good news for the 7D. If the port on the PC works for other devices, next you'll have to check that it's not fried on the 7D. Hopefully the port on your 7D is fine, but you're going to need a second PC to test that.
    Yup. Done and done. 7d works on another pc and all three ports on the laptop in question work with other devices. I'm confounded. Seems no driver is available for independent install because it is supported. I guess next I uninstall the bus controller drivers and go from there.

I also checked my default actions. No such luck.

Sent from my HTC VLE_U using Tapatalk
    Adobe, give us courage to edit what photos must be altered, serenity to delete what cannot be helped, and the insight to know the one from the other.
    Canon EOS 7D - Canon EF-s 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM - Canon 100mm f/2.8L IS Macro - PCB Einsteins & PW Triggers

scratch that! It's no longer working on other computers. (finally a direction to move in.)

Anyone know offhand how to do a factory reset on a 7D?

You've tried with a different cable? You mentioned having two. They both don't work?
    On Flickr - Namethatnobodyelsetook on Flickr
    R8 | R7 | 7DII | 10-18mm STM | 24-70mm f/4L | Sigma 35mm f/1.4 | 50mm f/1.8 | 85mm f/1.8 | 70-300mm f/4-5.6L | RF 100-500mm f/4-5-7.1L

Quote Originally Posted by DavidEccleston View Post
    You've tried with a different cable? You mentioned having two. They both don't work?
    Yeah. Ended up testing three.

I identified the issue, and it's a sad one. It's in the usb port on the camera itself. Something is loose in there. If I push it in and up, I can connect. So basically this means that I can't reliably shoot tethered.

Sent from my HTC VLE_U using Tapatalk