Thread: Gitzo GT1541, GT1542T or GT2541

Gitzo GT1541, GT1542T or GT2541

Hey everyone - thanks in advance for your help.

I am looking to finally follow Thom Hogan's advice and get a good tripod. I've been suffering with my 3021BPRO Bogen/Manfrotto Alum. 5.6 lbs monster for eight years and don't take it nearly as much as I wish I did because of the weight.

I intend to eventually replace the 3021BPRO with a 3 series Gitzo, but for now...

Here are my requirements:
    1. Must be able to fit w/out a head into a 22" domestic rolling suitcase (20" internal length?) as I want to be able to take it with me on business trips for sight-seeing and 'detours.'
    2. As sturdy as possible.
    3. I am 6'0" tall - while I don't mind bending down to compose on a shorter rig obviously not having to extend a center column as much or at all is nice.
    4. I do not plan on using anything heavier than a 5D3 with 70-200 2.8 on this. Longer lenses will go on a monopod (sports) or eventually a larger tripod.

That's it. I will be using either a BH-30 or Markins Q3T head eventually. At present I have an Induro BHL3 which will have to suffice for now.

While I covet the GT2542T it is out of the price range especially with the current pricing on the three I am considering. Therefore, I would like the 2541, but I am not sure it can fit within the rolling suitcase (even on an angle) and if it can, would it take too much real estate?
    It would be helpful if those with any of these three tripods (Gitzo GT1541, GT1542T or GT2541) can provide the folded widest diameter so I can gauge that.

Thank you,
    -Darius
    Last edited by Hydrogen; 12-03-2013 at 04:58 AM. Reason: Adding context about my height and gear

Hi Darius,

First of all, welcome to the forum.

I have the GT1542T. The widest diameter is ~3.25". I have it mounted with the Markins Q3T ballhead. It should meet all of your criteria, but I would want to note that the higher you raise the center column, the less stable it is. I am 5'9" and don't have an issue, but there have been a few times when I've extended the column higher and noticed an issue. With three more inches, I think you would be fine for most circumstances. Looking at it, the other two would be better in terms of maximumn height with the center column down (GT1541-54.3", GT2541-51.2" vs the 45.9" for the GT1542T), but then you run into your ability to fit it into a carry on. I fit the GT1542T into a RRS Quiver (TCB-47) which will fit a 19.5" tripod but itself is 21". So the GT1542T (16.7" folded, but I leave the Q3T ballhead on and it fits) will fit, but not the FT1541 (21.25") or the GT2541 (21.9"). While I am not saying you have to use the RRS Quiver, my point is that I'd take the bag into account as well as the tripod length if you intend to carry the tripod in a bag/quiver.

This is the thread I used during my selection last year.

Good luck,
    Brant

Brant - Thank you for the warm welcome. I've actually just been lingering on the forum for some time and a loyal TDP follower for years. Finally needed some fellow advice. I had actually read through the thread you referred me to and am 'reliving' your plight. I actually don't mind removing the ball head for packing-up the tripod into luggage. I intend to carry it on the front of a Think Tank Streetwalker HD I just received with the ball head attached. Thank you though for the tip on the RRS Quiver - I've heard of it and I'll check it out.

Everyone - I have a similar request for folded leg and plate/spider diameter for these tripods at three other forums in addition to asking B&H sales for assistance. If I hear from them first, I will post those diameters here, but if any of you can measure and post the diameter for these three legs sooner than later, it would really help as I need to order this ASAP.

Thanks,

-Darius

Quote Originally Posted by jrw View Post
    I wonder why so many photographers buy a tripod to fit their suitcase rather than a suitcase to fit their tripod?
    And that is the best advice I have received on all of the boards thus far.

It made me realize that a traveler tripod would only serve to fit onto a carry-on suitcase, of which, I plan on never carrying-on the tripod because of the chance that TSA or an airline would refuse to let me board the plane with it. I realize folks have successfully done so, but I do not want to take the chance of having to dispose of the tripod with nothing to package it safely into a checked bag.

Therefore, I would just as well take my larger suitcase, pack in a less restricted manner and fit a more stable set of legs. I do not travel often by air - maybe 2-3 times per year. If it ever became an issue, I guess I could just get the 1-series traveler at that point (GT1542T), but for day-to-day usage, the GT2541 makes for a better tripod to drag around town or even a family car-driven vacation.

Thanks!
    Darius

Quote Originally Posted by Hydrogen View Post
    And that is the best advice I have received on all of the boards thus far.

It made me realize that a traveler tripod would only serve to fit onto a carry-on suitcase, of which, I plan on never carrying-on the tripod because of the chance that TSA or an airline would refuse to let me board the plane with it. I realize folks have successfully done so, but I do not want to take the chance of having to dispose of the tripod with nothing to package it safely into a checked bag.

Therefore, I would just as well take my larger suitcase, pack in a less restricted manner and fit a more stable set of legs. I do not travel often by air - maybe 2-3 times per year. If it ever became an issue, I guess I could just get the 1-series traveler at that point (GT1542T), but for day-to-day usage, the GT2541 makes for a better tripod to drag around town or even a family car-driven vacation.

Thanks!
    Darius
    I think that's sound logic!

Agreed, the GT2541 is probably better for the use that you describe.