Thread: How would one best recreate a shot like this?

How would one best recreate a shot like this?

I have 3 roommates, 2 of them being a married couple. I was asked last night if I could do something like the image posted below for them for Christmas. It doesn't look like too difficult of a shot, I just am unsure about it. I feel like it might be a little tough to get just right.

I have to work with, a 5D3, 50mm 1.4, 100mm 2.8, and the 24-105L. Any tips or suggestions would be fantastic.

I would use LED lights and make sure they are all working.....the type of light in the image you posted can burn you! Otherwise it look simple....just shoot and adjust exposure accordingly, find a nice background and a long extension cord or a small generator. A small dose of fill flash might help and would definitely de-emphasize the background.

Quote Originally Posted by Joel Eade View Post
    I would use LED lights and make sure they are all working.....the type of light in the image you posted can burn you!
    ....I spent about 30 seconds trying to figure out how Christmas lights would "burn you" in terms of you the photographer...unbalanced color temp, etc..but I was having a bit of trouble.....

Then it hit me....no...you mean burn YOU in terms of actual temperature burning the actual person.....

That wouldn't be good. LEDs are a better choice.

In the post, on it looks like they lowered the contrast.....

I do have a 320EX, but this looked like it was not done with flash so I didnt mention it.

Quote Originally Posted by jrw View Post
    It is a judgement call. If setting up to do something similar I'd want to go flashless for some and then add some subtle fill, likely gelled, onto their faces just to bring them out of the shadows a little bit more. I'd also avoid having bulbs close to the skin near their faces to avoid the distraction of a bright spot in the vicinity of where viewers will be looking.
    Agreed - I made a hack 1 time use very adjustable snoot out of alum foil - not to smooth you want some crinkle - and dial back the power output.
    If you see me with a wrench, call 911