Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: B+W ND Filter?

B+W ND Filter?

Hi all,

I was looking for ND filters and found that locally a B+W 10 stop filter costs $380. I've checked Amazon and the B+W ND 10 stop filter is a little over $100.

My concern is it has F-Pro on it but my current B+W filter actually has B+W on it and "Made in Germany". Is this a scam or a lower quality filter at all? If not I'll grab one, but I don't want to let it slip away if it is the high end filter, it's just the naming which concerns me.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...pf_rd_i=507846

I have never used Amazon. Probably never will.

This looks like the same filter.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...d_Neutral.html

On the one you linked it has the B+W on the inside (if that makes sense) but on the Amazon one it doesn't look like it does... unless I just can't see it

I don't use Amazon either, but to uy something for close to 1/4 of the price has me intrigued.

This is from the manufactures website. Shows an F-Pro, things that sound to good to be true usually are. The picture looks right but anyone can copy a pic off one website and put it on another.

https://www.schneideroptics.com/Ecom...D=679&IID=8119

Edit: Schneider Optics owns B+W

This is the correct link; Single Coating the one above is MRC (Multiple Coatings)

https://www.schneideroptics.com/Ecom...D=679&IID=8219
    Last edited by HDNitehawk; 12-11-2013 at 02:38 AM.

B+W ND Filter?

The Amazon link is fine. It's single coated, looks just like my 77mm #110. The MRC (multi coated) costs more. Since the point of multi coating is to increase light transmission, and the point of an ND filter is to reduce it, paying more for the MRC version isn't needed (it's easier to clean, though). F-Pro is B+W's name for their standard mount. Mine says that on one side, B+W on the other side.

Brick and mortar stores make a huge profit on accessories like filters. The prices on Schneider Optics' website are MSRP and way higher than 'street'.
    Last edited by neuroanatomist; 12-11-2013 at 02:56 AM.

Hi, I purchased mine from a trusted Swedish online store for approximately $140 (converted from Swedish SEK) when it was on a campaign. I’d say the standard price tag is around $160-$180 at different trusted online stores (in Sweden). To me $100 sounds like a really good deal and as far as I can see the Amazon link seems OK. I would rather consider asking $380 as a scam.

10-stop sounds awful aggressive. I started with a 3-stop, and later added a 6-stop which probably hasn't seen any use. I'd just stay away from 1-stop or 2-stop ND filters: if you're reaching for an ND filter, you're probably looking for more than two stops of help.

As others have said, the filter pictured is fine, it is just the back side of the B+W. Similar to Peety3, think about how many stops you need. My favorite filter is 6 stops. The 5DIII can AF through it, and there is very little color caste. I do enjoy my 10 stop ND filters for getting 30 sec exposures in daylight, blurring the pools under waterfalls, etc. But, sometimes, 10 stops is too much and sometimes I have trouble removing the color caste.

Fantastic, thanks heaps for the advice guys. Might get the single coated

To be honest I wanted a variable that went up to 10 stops but finding one is difficult to say the least. I had a Rodenstock, which was fantastic quality, but it only had 5 stops. 30 second exposures in daylight is what I'm after as I found with the Rodenstock I had to wait til very late afternoon before I could use it effectively.

Quote Originally Posted by Squidy View Post
    Fantastic, thanks heaps for the advice guys. Might get the single coated

To be honest I wanted a variable that went up to 10 stops but finding one is difficult to say the least. I had a Rodenstock, which was fantastic quality, but it only had 5 stops.
    Schneider (B+W's parent company) makes one that goes to 11-stops. However, like all variable ND filters, it produces a 'Maltese cross' artifact with ultrawide lenses, which makes it unsuitable for me. I'd stick with standard ND filters.