Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Magic Lenses

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Setters View Post
    How about magic lighting products? I think if my Mola Demi Beauty Dish in that way. :-)
    I think of my Profoto Softbox in that way.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Setters View Post
    But if we're talking about lenses, I suppose my 85L II has a somewhat magical quality about it.
    Then don't ever try the 200/2L, or you'll think your 85L is just another lens. I've rented the 200/2 three or four times, and each time I've come home with a gold mine of shots (candid portraits, indoor sports, outdoor "museum" stuff, nighttime long-distance architecture, outdoor sports).

Quote Originally Posted by peety3 View Post
    Then don't ever try the 200/2L, or you'll think your 85L is just another lens. I've rented the 200/2 three or four times, and each time I've come home with a gold mine of shots (candid portraits, indoor sports, outdoor "museum" stuff, nighttime long-distance architecture, outdoor sports).
    You should stop renting it - buy it instead. :-)

B & H has a 200 f/1.8 on their used site... perhaps that would make the owners of the f/2.0 jealous. (perhaps not... I have no idea what it's IQ is like)
    On Flickr - Namethatnobodyelsetook on Flickr
    R8 | R7 | 7DII | 10-18mm STM | 24-70mm f/4L | Sigma 35mm f/1.4 | 50mm f/1.8 | 85mm f/1.8 | 70-300mm f/4-5.6L | RF 100-500mm f/4-5-7.1L

Quote Originally Posted by DavidEccleston View Post
    B & H has a 200 f/1.8 on their used site... perhaps that would make the owners of the f/2.0 jealous. (perhaps not... I have no idea what it's IQ is like)
    Bryan's review says that it's massively "front-heavy", making it awkward to hold. It's also not going to have the amazing IS unit found in the 200/2. Someone else said it's a five-stop unit, and although I think Canon claims it to be four-stop, I have several shots for which IS was quite the savior, including one of the Seattle Space Needle, shot from 1.25 miles away at 1.3x crop, with a shutter speed of 1/13 and I find it to be a rather impressive shot. If I remember my math correctly, that's 4.5 stops worth.

My 70-200 2.8L IS mk2 made images like I'd never seen, and could not get from my other lenses, and it is what tipped the scale and made me go full frame, really. I wanted to use it a lot more, but the effectively 112mm "wide end" on a crop body was awkward and not practical for casual/general shooting.

I am also really loving my new Sigma 35mm f/1.4 "Art". Excellent color, contrast and sharpness in a very usable focal length. I really like how at 35mm you still get a very usable DOF wide open at f/1.4, so you can easily get whole people and even little groups of them into focus at f/1.4, in dim lighting, without flash, and without high ISO's. I pull the images off the card and say WOW every time, so I think I am getting my money's worth.
    Canon 6D, Canon EF 16-35 f/2.8 L III; Sigma 35mm f/1.4 "Art"; Canon EF 70-200 f/2.8L IS II, Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 L IS Macro; Canon 24-105 f/4 L ; Canon EF-S 17-55 f/2.8 IS (unused nowadays), EF 85 f/1.8; Canon 1.4x TC Mk. 3; 3x Phottix Mitros+ flashes

85 1.2 for me.
    Owner of Deevers Photography. If you have some time, visit my website at deeversphoto.com.