Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Magic Lenses

Magic Lenses

Deleting old posts
    Last edited by jrw; 03-27-2014 at 12:55 PM.

MP-E 65mm f/2.8 1-5x Macro. Delivers shots you just cannot get any other way, short of using a microscope.

135L - Perfect bokeh, sharp and fast, good stand-off distance for candids. I use it quite often for events here on campus.
    Mark - Flickr

How about magic lighting products? I think if my Mola Demi Beauty Dish in that way. :-)

But if we're talking about lenses, I suppose my 85L II has a somewhat magical quality about it.

I will concur with the first 2 lenses mentioned....the 300 f/2.8 and the 65 MP-E are both magical in their own way....I will add to that the 35mm f/1.4L: my magical low light lens...I love the sharpness, color and contrast. Images from this lens seem to process so nicely for me it definitely is "magical". I use it for family gatherings almost exclusively.

Lensbaby ! Just because it's fun, slows my photography down and has a very unique set of looks

I thought they were all magic.
    Everyone I have made $100 bills disappear out of my wallet.

To the magical images they can produce;

I am not sure I agree with the 300mm f/2.8 L on the list, it has great resolution nice bokeh and produces a very nice picture. I don't see what I would think is magic but just great IQ.

I have never used the 65 MP-E so I can't speak to it. I know that the 180mm L Macro at times can produce an image that has a special (Magical) feel to it.

I am going to go with Joel with his 35mm suggestion. Used properly in the right situation the 35mm f/1.4L can produce some very magical pictures. From what I have seen many people that own this lens do not know where the magic lies and never pull it out.

If I had to pick one it would be the 35mm f/1.4L. It is the tools configuration itself that makes it great, our friends that have the Zeiss version may have a lens even more magical.

Hmmm. I don't own any of the lenses listed so far. I do have to say the 70-200 f2.8 II seems to have a bit of magic to it. Maybe others have a bit more but several images seem to be popping a lot more than I am used too.

I vote for the TS-E 24mm f/3.5L II. I know it's just optical physics rather than magic, but it can do amazing things with the focal plane that ordinary lenses can't.

The EF 200mm f2 L IS USM is just such a lens! It is a 200 f2, 280 f2.8, 400 f4, & to date the only 5 stop IS lens that Canon sells!

Will T.