Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Tamron 150-600mm f/6.3

Tamron 150-600mm f/6.3

http://www.the-digital-picture.com/N...aspx?News=8670

This is a very interesting lens! It has the same aperture/focal length as my beloved Minolta 600mm f/6.3 but with AF and IS, I don't think the image quality will be near as good as my prime but it will give a much better keeper rate and to be able to get images near impossible without it. The main thing for me is the compression and amount of background blur will be essentially the same as my lens.

I probably won't be selling my lens unless the IQ really surprises me.

Cheers,
    John.
    Amateurs worry about gear, pros about the pay, masters about the light, and I just take pictures!

Does this mean you are buying one?
    5DS R, 1D X, 7D, Sigma 10-20mm f/4-5.6, 24mm f/1.4L II, 16-35mm f/4L IS, 24-105mm f/4L, 50mm f/1.8, 100mm Macro f/2.8L, 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II, 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L, 580EX-II
    flickr

If the IQ is surprisingly good I would definitely consider it. And I will still have a few bucks left over from selling my 600 for something else.

John.
    Amateurs worry about gear, pros about the pay, masters about the light, and I just take pictures!

My longest lens right now is 280mm (70-200 f/4 USM + 1.4x extender) so maybe beggars shouldn't be choosers?

I'd have to figure the Tamron would clean up over that combination's image quality like the 400 prime does.

I'll consider buying the lens if:

-- Image quality at 400mm and beyond is reasonable for the price. I'm not expecting Canon prime 400mm f/5.6 performance at 400mm, but I would like this lens at ~ 560mm (double pixels on subject) to be better than the 400mm f/5.6.
    -- Autofocus is at least decent speed, given the ultrasonic motor I think this is likely to be ok. Again, I don't expect miracles here. If it can focus as well as the 70-200 with an extender I'd be ok. 55-250 focusing speed would not be acceptable to me.
    -- I decide the weight is in the range I'm willing to carry, it's over 1.5 lbs heavier than 400mm f/5.6!

Dave
    Last edited by Dave Throgmartin; 12-27-2013 at 04:40 AM.

I think an affordable 600mm lens with AF and VC could be a great thing for many photographers. I do worry that 600mm is a gimmick, though - that too many optical compromises were made to bring a 600mm lens down to that price point.

It seems at least possible that at 600mm, a shot from the current 100-400L will have similar or better IQ. With Sigma's affordable xxx-500mm zoom lenses, the cropped 100-400L delivers better IQ.

I think many of us, especially the outdoor photographers are looking forward to reviews and reports on this lens once it is out. I know I have been putting off the 100-400L due to cost and reviews I have read (it could use an update from what I have read) - at the low price point this lens will either sit or fly off the shelves once the word gets out. If it performs the price point will definitely move it.

I have noticed it comes with post-processing software "Free". I have not seen that kind of offer very often - it makes me wonder if post processing is required to overcome some limitations. I am sure we will see.
    Last edited by Lumens; 12-27-2013 at 02:34 PM.
    Let No One Walk Alone
    --------------
    Bill

Here's some sample shots at http://blog.naver.com/sp_marketing/70179201020 . Click an image, then the little zoom button to get a more detailed view.

More: http://camerarumors.blogspot.ca/2013...-sample_8.html
    On Flickr - Namethatnobodyelsetook on Flickr
    R8 | R7 | 7DII | 10-18mm STM | 24-70mm f/4L | Sigma 35mm f/1.4 | 50mm f/1.8 | 85mm f/1.8 | 70-300mm f/4-5.6L | RF 100-500mm f/4-5-7.1L

This lens is starting to look interesting.....granted, I can see some flaws....but it may cross the "good enough" barrier. Definitely interested to see some reviews, especially Bryan's....I may be most interested in Canon's response.

Here is a link I saw on CR earlier today....

Quote Originally Posted by neuroanatomist View Post
    ... I do worry that 600mm is a gimmick, though - that too many optical compromises were made to bring a 600mm lens down to that price point. It seems at least possible that at 600mm, a shot from the current 100-400L will have similar or better IQ...
    If at 600mm the image quality is equivocal to the cropped 100-400 I think there's a lot of people who would be satisified although they hoped for me. If image quality is outright worse despite 2.25x as many pixels then I think the lens would be a disappointment, especially if the difference is sizable.

3rd party makers have certainly come a long way in the past few years. This may be Tamron's shot -- show us a quality 600mm for a value level cost and much more business could come their way in the future for other lenses.

$1,069 is surely inexpensive for a 600mm lens, but is still a lot of money to many people. It will need to deliver performance, at least to some extent, if they are to sell a lot of them.

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Kayaker72 View Post
    This lens is starting to look interesting.....granted, I can see some flaws....but it may cross the "good enough" barrier. Definitely interested to see some reviews, especially Bryan's....I may be most interested in Canon's response.

Here is a link I saw on CR earlier today....
    In this comparison the 150-600 soundly defeats the 300 f/2.8 L IS version 1. If that is true I think everyone will be ecstatic.

Dave