Thread: Shoulder Bags

Shoulder Bags

Hi all, I have been using the Digital-Picture.com for over a good while now, but I have just recently began to browse the forum, and this is my first post. But enough with the introduction.

I am looking for a new shoulder bag to use on short outings and trips when I wish to only bring my T2i, a couple of lenses, maybe a flash, and some accessories, rather than my heavy backpack that has many extra accessories and equipment that I do not need for most shoots. I have a shoulder bag right now, but its getting old and it is not as big as I would like it to be (internal dimensions are: 10w X 4.5d X 6.5h in inches. Also as reference to size, my big pieces of equipment are a T2i with battery grip, 17-40L, 28 f1.8, tamron 75-300 and 28-80, an old Pentax-k bayonet 50 f1.7, and a promaster 5750 flash). So I would like a bag that is at least a little bigger than my current bag, preferably with a weather cover and a decent amount of protection and padding, since it will be used primarily on outdoor trips. Comfort is not my primary factor, although it is obviously always a plus. Looks are not a big deal either, but no one likes an ugly bag. Also, I don't really like bags that are wide, but not very deep, like some messenger bags are. I do not currently have a tablet or small laptop, but a slot for one would be nice for future purposes.

My price range is around $85-110. The bags that I am currently looking at are the Lowepro Nova sport 17L and 35L (Although the 35l may be bigger than I need), the Nova 200 AW, and the tamrac system 6 and pro 8. I have a small Lowepro toploading bag, so I know how good Lowepro's quality is, but I have never used Tamrac or most other brands before. Also, Bestbuy is the only store near me that has camera bags (and their selection is small), so going to a shop to try them out in person is sadly not an option.

Anywho, I hope I am not asking for too much and I hope this whole post was comprehensible! Thanks for reading and responding!
    Last edited by maylemay; 12-26-2013 at 08:41 PM.

I have a Lowenpro photorunner 100 a bit small for what it seems you want to carry, the reason I reference is that it didn't seem to have the quality I was expecting.

I have a big ApeCase backpack which I call my cargo bag because I fit just about everything in it.

I received for Xmas a Timbuk2 Snoop Large Shoulder/Messenger bag. Not too wide, very deep. Put my 5dIII,70-200,24-105, flash, 2x TC, 40mm pancake, nifty fifty stacked w/ extension tubes and it was not over stuffed, indeed has a bit more room and has a slot for tablet/17" laptop. the exterior is GRU which I take as a heavy nylon covered vinyl. Some extra snaps and straps for tripod

Haven't really used it but was pleased how much would actually fit.

Hope this helps.
    If you see me with a wrench, call 911

Hi Maylemay,

First of all, welcome to the forum.

At first glance at your post, I thought of the Crumpler Million Dollar bags or the lowepro slingshots. I don't own either, but have heard good things.

But it seems that you are most interested in weight. I added a second backpack largely due to weight last spring. I found the Lowepro Flipside 400AW on ebay. It weighed in at ~ 3 lbs and holds a good amount of gear. It has become my most often used pack.

Good luck

There are a lot of good options out there I think, it comes down to personal preferences what one likes best.
    I have been happy with ThinkTank products (Urban Disguise and Retrospective). For your price range and needs, maybe have a look at the Sub Urban Disguise series. If you follow the link from The-Digital-picture.com (at the bottom of the page), you might get a little extra on top, and you support the site

Arnt
    Arnt

I can recommend the Think Tank Retrospective range - discrete, comfortable, easy to configure for your needs and offers reasonable protection from day-to-day hazards