Thread: New Years Resolutions - related to photo please

New Years Resolutions - related to photo please

1. Take photos more often.
    2. Return to Coyote Butte & Page area of Arizona. Preferably both North and South Coyote Butte.
    3. Learn more about DPP/CS6.
    If you see me with a wrench, call 911

get a 400 f5.6L
    Stuart Edwards
    1DX Mark II , 6D , Samyang 14mm f2.8 ,Sigma 85mm f1.4A , 24-105mm f/4L IS , 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II ,100-400 f5.6L II , 300mm f/2.8L II , EF 1.4x III , EF 2x III, 430EX II

Stop. Buying. Gear.

(I never keep my resolutions. Just sayin'.)
    Mark - Flickr

Quote Originally Posted by M_Six View Post
    Stop. Buying. Gear.
    (I never keep my resolutions. Just sayin'.)
    I. Don't. Understand.

Ok. My photographic resolutions, which I made it a few months ago but will reaffirm for New Years:

• Slow down and take more time to set up shots. Be more deliberate with my pictures.
    • Shoot fewer shots but make them count more.
    • Set aside more time for actual photography (in 2013, I took most of my shots "while doing" something else)
    • Take some time to learn more about photography

In addition, I will continue to work rounding out my FF kit.

As I've been into this hobby a few years now I've concluded that what I really like to do are landscapes / seascapes and nature / wild life. Family pictures are great too, but most of the family isn't very into getting their picture taken and definitely don't want the shots shared.

For part of the past year I started to get away from that and trying some more creative shots. I'd like to get back to basics a bit... I was planning to print a calendar of landscape type shots, one from each month of the past year and when I found I didn't always have the material I liked enough to do that it hit home and made me realize that maybe I've strayed a bit.

Equipment wise I have accumulated a fair amount of photography equipment I really don't need and will likely be doing a decent size sell off soon. The only thing I really want is to get a real telephoto lens, likely with the Tamron 150-600 if it is the real deal or the Canon 400 f/5.6. I've used the Canon on rentals a couple of times and it is excellent.

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Kayaker72 View Post
    I. Don't. Understand.

Ok. My photographic resolutions, which I made it a few months ago but will reaffirm for New Years:

• Slow down and take more time to set up shots. Be more deliberate with my pictures.
    • Set aside more time for actual photography (in 2013, I took most of my shots "while doing" something else)

I like the way you said it better.

I am certainly guilty (way way too many times) of whipping out the camera, metering what I suspect will be mid-grey, zoom or step back just a bit and "click" get a pic that once I get back to the hotel/home and have time to look at it I discover I should have moved 3 steps left, missed the focus by 6" or some other thing that would have been resolved by a 3 second pause....
    If you see me with a wrench, call 911

Quote Originally Posted by Kayaker72 View Post
    I. Don't. Understand.

I buy new gear and tell myself I'll sell something to offset the cost. Then I never get around to listing it anywhere. I really need to sell some stuff and save for a 500mm f4 IS.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Throgmartin View Post
    As I've been into this hobby a few years now I've concluded that what I really like to do are landscapes / seascapes and nature / wild life. Family pictures are great too, but most of the family isn't very into getting their picture taken and definitely don't want the shots shared.

For part of the past year I started to get away from that and trying some more creative shots. I'd like to get back to basics a bit... I was planning to print a calendar of landscape type shots, one from each month of the past year and when I found I didn't always have the material I liked enough to do that it hit home and made me realize that maybe I've strayed a bit.

Equipment wise I have accumulated a fair amount of photography equipment I really don't need and will likely be doing a decent size sell off soon. The only thing I really want is to get a real telephoto lens, likely with the Tamron 150-600 if it is the real deal or the Canon 400 f/5.6. I've used the Canon on rentals a couple of times and it is excellent.

Dave
    As I said above, I'm in the same boat. Need to sell off some gear.

I also need to dedicate more time to shooting. I bought a 100L macro lens and set up a whole macro rail system and I have yet to use it. And I've been very bad about posting my images. My website is way behind.
    Mark - Flickr

Quote Originally Posted by M_Six View Post
    I buy new gear and tell myself I'll sell something to offset the cost. Then I never get around to listing it anywhere. I really need to sell some stuff and save for a 500mm f4 IS.
    I have the advantage (and most certainly disadvantage) of a wife who also shoots Canon. It's usually two generations of use before it's time to sell stuff, which can be good and bad. Her 40D is due to be sold, but I'm sure it won't net much even with grip. Regardless, most of my upcoming lens purchases are primes, so I anticipate juggling between Zeiss goodies (I want the ZE15/2.8 since she has the Canon 14/2.8 II; I want the ZE100/2 Makro Planar since she has the Canon 100/2.8 L IS Macro) and Canon classics (35/1.4 and 135/2 to round out our 85/1.2 and 300/4IS, though I may wait on the 35/1.4 based on the rumor mill), then diving into the second round of Zeiss (ZE35/1.4, ZE85/1.4, ZE135/2) versus the second round of Canon (24/1.4, 50/1.2, 400/5.6). None of that will generate any lenses to sell, unfortunately...ah, the fun of dreaming.