Thread: Favorite Links, Blogs or Books

Favorite Links, Blogs or Books

I would like to spend some time learning more about photography. Both the science behind photography and the actual art of image capture. I was wondering if everyone could share their favorite websites, links, blogs or books?

Just to get this started:
    • This website, of course. I tend to think about TDP more about gear reviews, but they have really been expanding their tips page.
    • "Understanding Exposure" by Bryan Peterson. I have given this book a couple of times to beginning photographers. I should probably start by rereading it. In short, I view this book as a great place to learn about the creative control of photography.
    • Darwin Wiggett. He has www.darwinwigett.com and www.oopoomoo.com. I discovered Darwin Wiggett relatively early on. Has a great mix of tips, tech reviews, and photos on his pages.
    • Because of the posts and Adorama's support of TDP, I have watched several of the videos on AdoramaTV. The ones I've watched so far are very good.

In addition, I also noticed this deal go by on TDP news. Anyone have any thoughts as to if this is a worthwhile investment of time and, at $89, less significant but money?
    Last edited by Kayaker72; 01-08-2014 at 12:35 PM.

Syl Arena's Speedliter's Handbook.

The areas that I am specifically planning to improve on at this time include:

• Portrait photography with controlled (flashes/strobes/etc) lighting. As I posted in a thread earlier I have a new niece and a new nephew whom I have been and will be doing portraits. So this will include creative lighting, positioning of the strobes, poses, etc.
    • Family portraits. Specifically, I want to get better at positioning people. I am learning a lot by mistake and would love to read up on it.
    • Science behind photography. I still find it fascinating that the focal length of a telephoto lens is longer than the lens itself. I might be able to figure it out if I sat down and tried, but learning and understanding things like that interests me.
    • I am always interested in good resources on capturing landscapes, waterfalls, or wildlife.

I'd probably lean toward intermediate and expert level references. While I do not consider myself expert, I do like to be challenged. And I tend to do best when I understand something on a fundamental level.

So, those are some specifics, but I would be interested in other people's favorites on any topic, hence the potentially vague initial question.

Or put in another way. If you had an average all-around photographer that wanted to learn the fundamentals on how to be a good to great photographer, what resources would you recommend?

The Strobist Blog is a wonderful resource for off-camera flash information. In fact, his blog (and the corresponding flickr group) has been the absolute biggest influence in shaping my photographic style. Unfortunately, David Hobby has made a conscious decision to blog less frequently.

Start with Lighting 101 and 102.

To add to the portrait shooting; what post processing program, if any, do you use for handling skin imperfections?

Thanks
    Bill

Quote Originally Posted by Bill W View Post
    To add to the portrait shooting; what post processing program, if any, do you use for handling skin imperfections?

Thanks
    Bill
    I use Photoshop CC or Photoshop CS6 (depending on whether I'm using the work laptop or my home machine). But if I didn't have that, I could do most imperfections in DPP (and have done before).

I'm very keen on aurora photography, so I am always keeping an eye on spaceweather.com. And tonight (Jan 9) could be a very good opportunity for anyone with clear skies. A massive sunspot blew up a couple days ago and barfed an enormous stream of high-energy protons right at us. The blast is going to arrive tonight, so be sure to take a look!

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan Huyer View Post
    I'm very keen on aurora photography, so I am always keeping an eye on spaceweather.com. And tonight (Jan 9) could be a very good opportunity for anyone with clear skies. A massive sunspot blew up a couple days ago and barfed an enormous stream of high-energy protons right at us. The blast is going to arrive tonight, so be sure to take a look!
    Saw that. Solid overcast with rain and/or snow tonight for us, though. :-(
    Mark - Flickr

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan Huyer View Post
    have my fingers crossed

update: so it is now 8:30 am eastern U.S. on the 10th.... and and and and .

The photos are spectacular and I admit I am being visually greedy

Seriously, hope you either got some great images last night or if they didn't light up they do so tonight - the reports indicate the show may really be tonight on the 10th.
    Last edited by Busted Knuckles; 01-10-2014 at 12:42 PM.
    If you see me with a wrench, call 911

Quote Originally Posted by neuroanatomist View Post
    Syl Arena's Speedliter's Handbook.
    Ordered....thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Setters View Post
    The Strobist Blog is a wonderful resource for off-camera flash information. In fact, his blog (and the corresponding flickr group) has been the absolute biggest influence in shaping my photographic style. Unfortunately, David Hobby has made a conscious decision to blog less frequently.

Start with Lighting 101 and 102.
    Thanks Sean...that is exactly what I am looking for....

Quote Originally Posted by jrw View Post
    Had a bit of time to allow selecting some of my favourites. Emphasis is on web accessible information.

Books
    Creative Black and White Harold Davis
    Photography and the Art of Seeing Freeman Patterson

Peoples websites
    Bruce Percy, Portraiture and landscapes on website
    David DuChemin, website and store Lots of info
    George DeWolfe Fine art printing
    Harold Ross Light Painting

Other websites
    Faded and Blurred
    Luminous Landscape LOTS of articles in archives
    Bulb Exposures
    Eye Voyage
    Thanks JRW....I ordered the "Art of Seeing" book and I've started working my way through a few of the websites. Some amazing photos.