Thread: Sigma 50 f/1.4 Art

Sigma 50 f/1.4 Art

I just saw a link to an interview on Imaging Resource with Sigma regarding the 50 mm f/1.4 Art over on CR. Sigma apparently told IR that they are confident in beating all Nikon and Canon offerings and are instead gunning for the Zeiss Otus.

I never expected to see it, but I assume this is the equivalent to trash talk between photographic companies. I am assuming they ended the statement with a "yo' mama," but that didn't get reported.

Anyway, if the Sigma 50 Art at f/1.4 bests the Canon 50 f/1.4 (my current 50 mm prime) at f/2, I'll happily pay the premium to get the lens. While I haven't seen prices yet, I am assuming it comes in around the $899 that the 35 mm Art did. If they come anywhere close to the Otus, I will be shocked....and buying the lens.

I am more hoping that Sigma releases a 20 mm f/~2 or 24 mm f/1.4 lens with similar optics to the 35 Art. If they do that, I may be buying a collection of Sigma primes.

Sigma certainly has my attention, too.

When looking for a 35mm prime, I chose the Sigma. It was cheaper than the Canon L and about the same price as the EF 35mm f/2 IS (at the time). If I did more video shooting, I probably would have picked up the Canon "IS" version. But as it stands now, I don't have any regrets. The Sigma is well-made, sharp, and the AF performs quite well. The Sigma 35mm f/1.4 Art is my go-to lens for event photography; it performs beautifully.

I'm certainly interested to see what Sigma has in store for us regarding the new 50mm f/1.4...

Quote Originally Posted by Kayaker72 View Post
    Anyway, if the Sigma 50 Art at f/1.4 bests the Canon 50 f/1.4 (my current 50 mm prime) at f/2, I'll happily pay the premium to get the lens. While I haven't seen prices yet, I am assuming it comes in around the $899 that the 35 mm Art did. If they come anywhere close to the Otus, I will be shocked....and buying the lens.
    Be prepared to buy one then
    Actually this news really got my intension, because I have had the "old new" Sigma 50mm 1.4 lens quite some time now(since 2010). In my eyes(and a quick comparison/test at the store) it was already better than the Canon's 50mm 1.4. If they now claim to improve that and get even better than Canons best(50mm 1.2) it will be amazing.

The Sigma 50mm is without a doubt my favorite lens I've had so far. So I'm really curious to see what the new lens will do. Don't think I'd upgrade though, I'm very happy with "the old one" ...

My brother actually used it as the only lens during a wedding and he got really nice photos.

As for now I'm hoping they will introduce a 24mm prime with similar optics. f1.4 would be nice, but 2.8 to keep the price down is also alright