• Tripod

6 40.00%
  • External hard disk

0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Poll: First accessory to buy

Poll: First accessory to buy

What should be the first accessory to buy after you purchase your first DSLR kit?

Let me know what do you think.

Last option should be "External hard disk"
    I can not edit the poll.
    Last edited by Sean Setters; 01-16-2014 at 07:15 PM. Reason: Edited Poll - Corrected Typo

Guess I'm the first to vote. I'd say midrange external flash (i.e. 430), midrange tripod (i.e. a $200 tripod from Best Buy, NOT the $75 tripod at the camera store, I know it sounds crazy), and an 85/1.8 lens.

I chose flash.

Using filters depends on whether you need the sealing.
    Until you have multiple lenses, the case/backpack isn't necessary, and you aren't likely go get the right one until you know what you'll be putting in it.
    Tripod depends on what you're shooting.
    External hard disk... I don't have any. I have several internal ones. Useful if you use a laptop and want to move files from the camera temporarily before going to your main editing PC. But, yes, in general, you'll want storage. Lots and lots of storage.

More common basics would be:

Memory card.
    Optionally a card reader.
    Your brain 1*. Learn how the camera works, what the modes are, and how aperture, shutter, and ISO are connected.
    Your brain 2*. Learn to compose a shot. Learn about harsh light, and open shade, etc. Figure out what you like, and why.
    Second battery.
    Lens cleaning supplies (lens pens, microfiber cloth and lens cleaning solution, etc.).
    If you purchased a Nikon, something to process .NEF files. Canon users can use DPP.

* - Note that while you don't have to purchase your brain, it's a good thing to invest in.
    On Flickr - Namethatnobodyelsetook on Flickr
    R8 | R7 | 7DII | 10-18mm STM | 24-70mm f/4L | Sigma 35mm f/1.4 | 50mm f/1.8 | 85mm f/1.8 | 70-300mm f/4-5.6L | RF 100-500mm f/4-5-7.1L

I voted for a tripod, but only because I do a lot of landscape photography and your 'first DSLR kit' probably has a built-in flash. An external flash would be a close second.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidEccleston View Post
    External hard disk... I don't have any. I have several internal ones. Useful if you use a laptop and want to move files from the camera temporarily before going to your main editing PC. But, yes, in general, you'll want storage. Lots and lots of storage.
    It's not just about the storage space. Unless you're using an online backup solution (Carbonite/Mozy/etc.) you should always have your image library backed up to at least one external drive (hard drives fail), and ideally in more than one physical location (no one wants to think their house will burn down, but it happens).

Quote Originally Posted by DavidEccleston View Post
    * - Note that while you don't have to purchase your brain
    Upgrades might be available. I guess I'm the one to see about that...

Quote Originally Posted by neuroanatomist View Post
    Upgrades might be available. I guess I'm the one to see about that...
    Lol!

Think about this logically.

If it were your first DSLR kit you might not even realize that you should shoot in RAW. Even if you do it will be a month or so before you find out you are running out of memory space on your computer. You wouldn't need a poll for that one.

If you bought a rebel kit that has a built in flash you could go a bit before you want an external.

Lens filter, if you bought a 5D III kit you might want a lens filter for protection. If you bought a rebel with a cheap kit lens I wouldn't.

That leaves Tripod and Bag/Backpack. I would get something to carry and protect my equipment first before anything else.

Tripod is a tool you should know you need / or do not need. If you are not sure you do not need it yet.

I go bag first for protection.

If it's your first DSLR, you might not realize how important having a stable platform can improve your pictures, so I'd argue that the tripod can be educational for most any type of shooter. Those who know they don't need one probably do need one but refuse to accept the reality.

I second the external hard disk notion. I have two 2TB drives with photo archives on them (lately we kill about 1TB/year). I rsync the drives to a set kept at my office in another zip code, a set kept at my parents' house in another state, and a third set used to rotate out the other two. I'm working on developing a way to online-backup the stuff that hasn't been rsynced to offsite...haven't quite ironed out the kinks there. And yes, I keep EVERYTHING in RAW. I never delete in-camera, and never delete after ranking in Lightroom. That's just how I roll. There's a great story out there about a photographer who had a magnificent shot of Monica Lewinsky staring at Bill Clinton, and because TIME kept everything for him, he was able to dig through and find the shot, and publish it.

Backpack or other safe carrying/storage option. No question to me. I didn't leave the store without one when I bought my first SLR. I had one on hand before my 7D showed up.

But really, you'll want most of those on your list.

My order would be:
    1. Back pack
    2. Lens cleaning cloth/solution...lens pen, Giottos Rocket Air Blower
    3. Depending upon the price of your lens, a high quality (B+W MRC) UV or clear filter (basically, if lens is worth protecting...protect it)
    4. Memory back up system. As mentioned above, you can either do online or external hard drive
    5. Second/back-up battery
    6. Fast memory cards
    7. Understanding Exposure by Bryan Peterson
    8. Tripod or at least a gorillapod
    9. External flash with a head that can swivel.