Thread: Mirror Lockup in Liveview Mode using remote (laptop) shooting via Eos Utility?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Gary:

Personally, I would put it in "Live View" to manually focus with 10X magnification. You can even compose in live view. But then turn live view off to keep from over heating your sensor. If AF is turned off on your lens you do not need to worry about focusing for subsiquent shots. Now you can sit back and look at the back display to get your exposure right (but remember to cover your eye piece to make sure no light entering it effects your exposure readings). Recheck your focus now and again to make sure you did not bump the focus ring.

Then you use mirror lock up. If you are using a hand held shutter release, you do not need to use the 2 second timer - just click once to lock up the mirror... pause to let vibrations settle... then click to shoot. Although your 2 second timer does the same thing, this is just my preference.

The above assumes you have the time to manually focus and compose. But for night shots, that is what works for me.

Pat
    5DS R, 1D X, 7D, Sigma 10-20mm f/4-5.6, 24mm f/1.4L II, 16-35mm f/4L IS, 24-105mm f/4L, 50mm f/1.8, 100mm Macro f/2.8L, 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II, 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L, 580EX-II
    flickr

Pat: Your suggestions are pretty close to how I'm going to do it. That's based off the time I spent with the owners manual and replies here. The one difficulty I experienced when doing this with my 500 lens was trying to keep the moon in view at 10x. It's amazing how fast it moves and I had a bugger of a time keeping it in view. Now I will be using a Wimberley head so I expect it to be easier to track.

Thank you, gary