Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Amazon selling

Amazon selling

I know that some of you do sell items on Amazon, but wondering if anyone has sold a big ticket item? (Like $900 to $1100 area) What was your experience?

I have a 24-70 vI I am looking at maybe moving and am weighing my options as to the best place to send it to a new home. I have used craigslist before, but there have been a rash of problems in the news with that as of late around here. I have sent it for a quote at Adorama and got a decent price, but I think it was worth a little more.

Thanks for the help!

Jayson

I have sold $5k+ on Amazon. You can kill on there. It takes 2-3 weeks to get paid but I have sold lenses for more than what I paid for them (24-70 included).

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Jayson...I am not trying to say anything disparging about Adorama, overall I am still happy with them. Just be careful about the price you were quoted. I recently looked into selling my cropped sensor equipment through them. I got what I thought was a quote for what they would give me for the equipment. My sense was exactly as you stated, decent price but I could get a little more, low enough where I thought they could still make a profit. And I confirmed with the guy I was talking with that is what they would pay me. So I decided to save the hassle of selling it myself and send the equipment into Adorama and take a little less than I thought it was worth.

In the end they wanted to give me x% (I think 65%) of the original quote and that I was mistaken and that it should have been clear that they were estimating what they thought it was worth with the original quote but of course they couldn't give that to me because they needed to make a profit. They also said that they would "talk to" the guy that had initially spoken with me so dryly that I doubt it was the first time they've had to tell someone that.

In the end I had them return my stuff. It came back mostly as I sent it in. I keep all my original packing material and had sent that in to them. All the equipment came back safely packaged, but not all the original packing material. I complained, got $25. So, they made me whole. Considering that and that my interactions were all professional, I don't have a negative opinion about Adorama.

But, all I can say is the final quote was much less than what I thought was the original quote for the gear.

Brant;

It's interesting that you would say that about Adorama. I had a very similar experience regarding the initial quote being much higher than the final quote. I ended up just settling for what they offered though since I was in a hurry and didn't particularly want to go through the additional hassle of having them return the camera to me and then having to sell/trade it somewhere else. Since I had the same confusion over the original quoted price vs actual offer makes me think that this is part of their M.O. and they always operate this way.

Again, I was not dissatisfied overall with my experience (I had other issues with the purchase of my 5d3 but they did everything they could to make it right) but it is just something to consider if calling Adorama for a quote on selling used gear. Make sure it is very clear up front on what is being offered.

Stephen

A good friend of mine ran into the same "misunderstanding" with Adorama. Sounds like the same people as you spoke with, Brant.
    Mark - Flickr

When reading their description of how to sell your used gear on the Adorama web site it does not clearly describe the fact that you will be offered 65% of the item's market value.

It merely states that you can submit items for a "quote" and then Adorama will contact you with an "offer". I think they should be more transparent and state up front that they will pay 65% of market value. It would avoid wasting time and it would be more honest.

Unfortunate that others seem to have had a similar experience. Also, sorry, my post seems to have run on a bit. Maybe I wrote it too early in the morning.

This was my experience also. I received a fair quote, but then the amount they would pay was 70% of that and in no way was I accepting less than 1/2 of what I purchased it for, let alone what they would sell my mint condition lens for. I would rather use it sparingly as I do now rather than that. I was looking at alternate routes of selling and still am not sure where to go. I am going to try amazon and see what that market might hold. If it works, I have a 50mm f1.8 and a 35mm f/2 that are going to head out too. They never get used.

Great experiences with selling on Amazon.
    You have to set up a seller profile then wait a bit for the item to be delivered then accepted before you get paid.
    But never a problem.
    Sold everything I ever listed in a few days.
    Three bodies, three flashes, pocket wizzards, and several filters.
    But I posted a fair price and the items were sent out in original boxes and very clean.

If you're looking to trade items into a shop, KEH appears to be the highest paying game in town from what I've seen. They offer more than B&H when I did side by side comparisons.

That said if you're trying to sell something of any value you're best off with a person to person sale.

Items that aren't worth that much or are hard to sell are different. KEH was close enough on my 18-135 and 28 f/1.8 to make it worthwhile to trade them in. I'll eventually sell other stuff (Zeiss 50 and 135L likely for sure and possibly 70-200 f/4L, and 1.4 II extender) and think I'll likely use the Fred Miranda forum for those.

Dave