Thread: Hair light

Hair light

Looking for a hair light that I can direct with a snoot or other modifiers.
    Prefer a continuous light source.
    Currently using continuous light source for main light with canon 600 exrt for fill, background and background separator.
    Trying to avoid another 600exrt for hair light if I can.

Thanks for any suggestions

I'm happy with a 600EX-RT as my hair light, I use it with a Honl 1/8" speed grid on a Manfrotto 420B Combi-Boom.

If you're shooting more than one subject per session, the ability to remotely control the power is great. Much better than having to climb on a ladder or reposition the boom to switch from higher power for dark hair to lower power for light hair to off for no hair (it's called 'chrome dome' for a reason ).

Neuro

Do you use an other modifiers when not concentrating on hair?

Does the Honl fit the 600 well, I know my other modifiers were too small when changing from the 580
    Last edited by iND; 03-04-2014 at 12:35 AM.

I use lots of different modifiers, for different purposes. Small ones include grids, snoots, gobos, gels, and a Better Beamer; large ones include a couple of Lastolite 24" Exyboxes (sometimes with fabric grids to limit spill or the round panel from the diffuser set for catchlight shape) and a Lastolite 12x48" stripbox.

The Honl mods fit fine, since they attach via their Speed Strap (I also use a Lumiquest Ultrastrap to attach them). Both of those straps just wrap around the flash head and close with velcro, so they fit pretty much any flash head. The modifiers attach with velcro, too.

I tested the light distribition of an array of small modifiers, the results are posted here:

http://community.the-digital-picture...ead.php?t=7549

Neuro's SHAPING THE LIGHT discussion is contained in another thread and I must admit I have never seen it. IT IS EXCELLENT

For those who have not follow the link he provides above.

My opinion is that his type of work deserves a wide spread audience and more publicity.

Have I missed other major contributions?

Thank you