Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: My upgrade path...looking for outside thoughts

Thanks for the update and sorry to hear there are any issues with the rebate. Did you buy the lens gray market?

I'll look forward to some shots from your cruise.

Quote Originally Posted by Kayaker72 View Post
    Thanks for the update and sorry to hear there are any issues with the rebate. Did you buy the lens gray market?

I'll look forward to some shots from your cruise.
    I bought from B&H as a "US" model. I'm just going to assume it was a glitch in the rebate systems. I'm wondering if I need to shoot an "enveloping" video (along the same theme as those "unboxing" videos) to show that I cut the UPC from this box and put it in that envelope which I mailed to you losers...

Yep, less than 10 weeks until the cruise. I'm having an "enjoyable" debate/discussion on the Cruise Critic forums about whether to lug a laptop or lots of memory cards. Some cheesmo thought I was an idiot for paying so much for 160MB/sec 16GB CF cards when he can get a "Patriot" Class10 (with 10MB/sec write speed) SDHC card for $23 on Amazon. Oh, let's see: a 1Dx makes bits at a rate of ~250MB/sec, so if I fill the buffer (which I'm guessing is nearly 1GB) and drain it at 10MB/sec, I'd be looking at 1.6 minutes to regain the whole buffer on a 1Dx. No thanks...
    We're a Canon/Profoto family: five cameras, sixteen lenses, fifteen Profoto lights, too many modifiers.

Quote Originally Posted by peety3 View Post
    Yep, less than 10 weeks until the cruise. I'm having an "enjoyable" debate/discussion on the Cruise Critic forums about whether to lug a laptop or lots of memory cards. Some cheesmo thought I was an idiot for paying so much for 160MB/sec 16GB CF cards when he can get a "Patriot" Class10 (with 10MB/sec write speed) SDHC card for $23 on Amazon. Oh, let's see: a 1Dx makes bits at a rate of ~250MB/sec, so if I fill the buffer (which I'm guessing is nearly 1GB) and drain it at 10MB/sec, I'd be looking at 1.6 minutes to regain the whole buffer on a 1Dx. No thanks...
    Are they shooting jpeg? Depending on the camera body (buffer size) that would help a little, but using 10 MB/sec will likely end up in disappointment.

See a bunch of eagles or a few Grizzly bears and I would fill that buffer with RAW images pretty quickly. Also, depending the camera body they have, the buffer may not be much. I think very highly of the 5DIII, but two of its limitations are buffer size and the SD card write speed. If I am shooting action, I actually take the SD card out and reset the 5DIII to write only to the CF card (that doesn't happen automatically when removing the SD card). With SD card, I get no more than 12 frames (usually less) before the buffer is filled. Remove the SD card and I can get ~30 frames in the 5DIII before the buffer is filled and then it is ~ 3 fps.

It actually doesn't require the SD card to be removed as long as you are not writing to it

Arnt
    Arnt

Quote Originally Posted by ahab1372 View Post
    It actually doesn't require the SD card to be removed as long as you are not writing to it

Arnt
    True....and I have to laugh at myself a bit...because, I do take my SD card out. It started off as process of elimination trying to get the number of shots I could take in a single burst up. I started by removing the SD card. That didn't work. I went in and adjusted the menus settings. That worked, so I stayed with it.

Another follow-up, if anyone cares. I've been accepted into an organization as a photographer where I'm on-call for urgent shoots, rarely with >12 hours notice. As such, I'm hoping to adjust my inventory so I can have just what I need always in my trunk. The Zeiss 100/2 Makro has now shot to the top of my list, followed by a Profoto B1 Off Camera Flash and a Profoto Air Remote TTL-C to drive the B1. I've been doing OK with my D1 heads, but I don't like having to depend on a power cord, and it'd be nice to go back to TTL flash while still having enough power to drive a 1x3 or 2x3 softbox with a grid.

After that, who knows what's next.
    We're a Canon/Profoto family: five cameras, sixteen lenses, fifteen Profoto lights, too many modifiers.

B1 price is a little scary, but I expect it to last me for decades (other than the battery, which I plan to be a 2-3 year thing). One of my D1s got knocked over and the only impact was the glass plate knocked out, easily put back together. A flash would have probably cracked or shattered from that sort of fall.

I spent several years using a 580EXII as master trigger, then several years pulling my hair out with PW Mini/Flex. I slowly got good at balancing ISO/aperture/shutter so I'd have enough oomph from the flashes without having to wait a full 5 seconds for recharge, only to find pink color shifts and excess grain in my flash-lit shots. Now with my pair of D1s, it's ISO 100, f/whatever I want, and I have enough power to overcome a softbox with both layers of diffusion in, plus the softgrid. The B1 will give me cord freedom and hopefully power-up-and-ignore freedom when popping into a hospital room for a photoshoot, or at my day job where I occasionally get called for a hallway "award winner handshake" photo, etc. Yes, one B1 with remote is about what two D1s with remote costs, but there's a feature set to be had.