Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I'm trying to get back... motivational project

I'm trying to get back... motivational project

Hi all! Long time no see...

I haven't really been around for at least the past year(and was already less active the time before that). The one thing that really kept me coming back to peak at the site once in a while where the assignments that I hosted. Luckily Brant had my back and took over when it was really needed. Which I'm extremely thankful for, thanks Brant you're the best!

A lot has happened in the past few years that de-motivated me, kept me from taking photos or enjoying it.
    A little background:
    I've had physical issues for a year or five now. The docs thought I had chronic bursitis in my shoulder, but after 3 years it turned out I have neck-problems which result in irritated nerves and bursitis as a consequence of dealing with it the wrong way. I have been rehabilitating and I'm doing way better now. Still can't really carry a backpack or carry the camera for longer times, but I start to enjoy taking photos again.
    Unfortunately I had to quit university because of it and I had to find a job. I now have a great job considering I have no real degrees, but it's a busy one. I also moved out of my parents house a little over half a year now and am settling down with my lovely girlfriend. I also became uncle of a lovely niece and nephew last year(and another one coming soon). Great stuff!

I'm definitely in an upward spiral now. And now that I'm settling down more and more I want to pick up on photography again. I've tried that for a few months now, but it's not really taking shape yet although I took 1500 photos the last 2 months compared to the grand total of 3000(unsorted) last year

Anyway I want to get my mojo back and therefor I challenge myself to get active again over here. I want to submit one(or more) photo each week on this thread that I took or edited from my library. Because my physical condition and free time don't always allow me to go out to take photos I also want to work on my unsorted librarywhich is very very big!

Please criticize my work, because when I look around the forums I notice that I'm really back to the amateur-state again.

-Jan-

To kick it off my lovely niece and nephew already flying high:

No fear of flying by Jan Paalman, on Flickr

Superman move by Jan Paalman, on Flickr

I especially like the lighting on the first one. Keep them coming...

Glad to see you enjoying photography again! I look forward to seeing you posts!

Welcome back

With the neck and back problem have you considered downsizing your equipment?

As far as these photos, try to crop them a little closer and see what happens.

Welcome back, Jan!

Quote Originally Posted by iND View Post
    As far as these photos, try to crop them a little closer and see what happens.
    I'd echo this, and remind everyone not to be a slave to the 3:2 ratio. In both cases, I think that would better highlight the main subject. I hope you don't mind my taking the liberty:

Name:  Jan1.jpg
Views: 689
Size:  108.4 KB

Name:  Jan2.jpg
Views: 804
Size:  100.5 KB

The second crop does change the content by elimating his dad, alternatively some content-aware filling (a pretty crude attempt on my part) could remove the cars from the image:

Name:  Jan3.jpg
Views: 714
Size:  137.3 KB

Jan,

It's great to see you back. I hope your health continues to improve.

Dave

Great to see you back and posting photos Jan. This is a great idea.

Regarding the critiques of the current two photos. I do like the cropped versions. I also wonder about decreasing the highlights in #1 a little (too much would make it look unnatural). Then I wondering about raising both shadows and overall exposure in #2.

Here are some quick efforts in LR4:

Name:  Small-1.jpg
Views: 861
Size:  106.0 KB

Temp -5
    Contrast +30
    Highlights -40
    Clarity -10
    Vibrance +10
    Saturation +5

Name:  Small-2.jpg
Views: 904
Size:  94.6 KB

Exposure +0.3
    Contrast -5
    Shadows +5
    Clarity -10
    Vibrance +10
    Saturation +5

I am no wizard in post and much of this is eye of the beholder type of stuff. Also, as I've tried to shoot many a niece and nephew being thrown into the air, #2 is a great capture.

BTW...always happy to help and I hope you have a speedy recovery now that they have the correct diagnosis.

Quote Originally Posted by Sheiky View Post

Please criticize my work, because when I look around the forums I notice that I'm really back to the amateur-state again.

-Jan-
    Jan! Glad you're back. I've recently been making an effort myself. It was kind of a sad feeling when I realized that I lost touch with everyone on here. Life happens, and let's face it, a photography forum is a low priority.

I'm subscribed to the thread now and will be happy to offer any insight I can.

-Rocco

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
    Adobe, give us courage to edit what photos must be altered, serenity to delete what cannot be helped, and the insight to know the one from the other.
    Canon EOS 7D - Canon EF-s 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM - Canon 100mm f/2.8L IS Macro - PCB Einsteins & PW Triggers

Thanks everyone! I really appreciate all the feedback. It encourages me
    I'll have to get back on the critique part of the photos some other time, but I must say that I see some good points in there. I'll get back on it later, because I just had to squeeze in my entry for the assignment.

Quote Originally Posted by iND View Post
    With the neck and back problem have you considered downsizing your equipment?
    Most definitely. I had been going on the all primes route. It is defintely funny and challenging, however it also meant that I had to carry multiple lenses for simple things. Which often meant that I didn't take my camera at all Also my girlfriend wasn't the biggest fan of going all primes so I bought a zoom again. Which often is the only lens I take so I don't need a backpack at all. I sold my macro, fisheye and old 24mm f2.8 and my current kit now looks like this:

- Tamron 24-70 f2.8 VR
    - Canon 40mm f2.8
    - Sigma 50mm f1.4
    - Canon 85mm f1.8
    - Canon 200mm f2.8 L
    - Canon 300mm f4L IS

I know it's still not really optimized for my physical abilities, however it's hard to take part of some of the lenses The Tamron makes a world of difference though. I enjoy having a multi-purpose lens again.

Quote Originally Posted by Kayaker72 View Post
    BTW...always happy to help and I hope you have a speedy recovery now that they have the correct diagnosis.
    Can't thank you enough Brant. As for the recovery, I'm progressing however it's gonna take some time. But I'm on the right track.

I'll get back on the critique