Thread: Uploading Images for Dummies

Uploading Images for Dummies

Could someone give a dummied down method to upload photos to this site as I seem to be always challanged and limits my participation in some of the photo submission sites. My file sizes are always too lare and when I try to downsize them in photoshop they are still too large.

And then explain the total down load limit?

I am on my phone but will write more later. There are two ways I upload photos to the site. First is to upload them to flickr and then simply copy the bcc code into my post. The second is to click the box in "export" in Lightroom that limits the file size to 192 KB (typically I print at 1,000 x 1,000 pixels). I then upload those files directly to my post using the picture icon (looks like an animated landscape). Then I double click on the image after it is uploaded but before I publish the post. From here you can control the size of the image. I typically change it from thumbnail to full size. All this is from memory, so someone please correct me if I am off.

I look forward to seeing your pics.

Can you address it for us photoshop nonlightroom users?

I got tired of trying get the photo the size right and sometimes taking the hit on IQ. So I just resorted to Flickr and have never looked back. Down load to flickr and post as Brant suggested seems easiest to me. If you do not want them to be public on flickr, then you can set it up that way. It does add the extra step, but in the end it saved me time. Some people are down sizing there files anyway so it matters less, but usually keep them full res.

Pat

Sent via taptalk
    5DS R, 1D X, 7D, Sigma 10-20mm f/4-5.6, 24mm f/1.4L II, 16-35mm f/4L IS, 24-105mm f/4L, 50mm f/1.8, 100mm Macro f/2.8L, 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II, 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L, 580EX-II
    flickr

I don't have full blown photoshop, but rather photoshop elements 10. I'll probably get getting photoshop soon, but all the post processing I do is in LR with some occasional work in PE. But, in photoshop elements, under "Save for Web" you can set the pixel dimensions and then there was an arrow near the top right, when clicked it said "Optimize to File Size" and let me specifiy 192 KB. It looks like you need to "optimize to file size" after specifying everything else as it sets the file size based upon the parameters.

Hope this helps.
    Brant

What I used to do when I was working with photoshop. I opened the image, resized the image to 600px on the long end. Made the resolution 72ppi and then uploaded. I just did a bunch of screen shots and was going to post to illustrate my process, but they were all too big. I haven't done it like this for a long time, but I can see that it has changed quite a big since the last time.

I personally just upload from my website using the BCC code and just paste it into the body of the post I am writing. Works super easy.

I used to use picassa for posting since I kept a blog and had the photos readily available. When I did that, it clicked on the insert image icon in the task bar of the post. Used post from URL and pasted the image URL from picassa. It was pretty easy to do also. In picassa if you don't want someone to see your photos, you can set it to anyone that has a link or only you. You must use the anyone with a link if you want it to show on here. It won't allow someone to click on the photo and get to that album, but rather just displays the image here.

If you plan on posting images to more than one of the forums you read, I would suggest either going to flickr route or get a picassa album. They are really easy to use and share your stuff.

I believe the reason the sizes keep shrinking for uploads here are due to the storage they maintain for the forum. There are more members now than when the site first started the forum and I don't think they want to upgrade the storage for individual pictures since most use flickr, picassa, their website, or some other form of adding photos.

Sorry I wasn't more help. I tried....