Thread: Printing

Printing

I am getting ready to do a couple of different printing projects. I am going to try to make a few books documenting different years and update several of my photos around my house and office (from 5x7s up to 16x20s). In the past, I've used either Adoramapix or Mpix for my printing. I was wondering if anyone recommended other printers?

Also, I printed a number of 4x6 photos last year right before Christmas (our typical gift to grandparents are photos documenting the year for the family). In 2013, I started adding more vibrance and color saturation that I had in years past. I waited until too close to Christmas and had to print them at a local Walgreens. I noticed in the prints that the color was extremely saturated, much more than had appeared on my monitor. It is possible Walgreens added their own "color correction" to the prints, but I try to always uncheck that box. So, I was wondering if anyone knew if prints were more sensitive to adding color saturation and vibrance than monitors or if this was just an issue with that batch of prints from Walgreens?

Any other tips for printing images?

Thanks,
    Brant

Printing

Prints at walgreens and cvs do auto correct and I have never had any luck printing there. Even declining color correction, they still turn out terrible. Costco does very good prints from what I've heard. I have a friend that uses them and really likes what he receives for the value.

I would give them a try. I generally stay clear of the corner store print shops just based on the differences in their auto color corrections. I have no experience with target or walmart.

For doing a few 4x6" prints, I picked up a little Canon Selphy a while back. I don't use it too much, mainly got it for when the kids need to take pics to school for this or that. It works quite well, cost per print is the same as Target if you buy the 108-print size. It's dye sub, so there's no worry about ink drying up with infrequent use.

For large prints I use an Epson 3800. Bought it refurbed from Adorama. It does a spectacular job (up to 19 inches wide.)

One thing I have noticed is that you have to make your on screen images much brighter and a little sharper than you ordinarily would to get a good print. Also I use the correct ICC paper profile for whichever paper I am using. If you plan on doing a lot of large prints I think it may be cost effective to do it yourself. It certainly is fun and no waiting!

Thanks for the tips everyone. Much appreciated.