Thread: Rumor: 1D X & 1D C Cold-weather AF issues

Rumor: 1D X & 1D C Cold-weather AF issues

This will be interesting to watch as it develops:

http://www.canonrumors.com/2014/04/e...tofocus-issues
    We're a Canon/Profoto family: five cameras, sixteen lenses, fifteen Profoto lights, too many modifiers.

I did see that (from a couple of different sources). However, we're waiting on an official statement from Canon before we publish information on this supposed phenomenon.

I talked to Bryan this morning, and he's never experienced AF issues in cold weather. So if it is a genuine issue, it might be an isolated one or possibly only an issue in extreme circumstances.

This report says it's when temperatures get below 0C, but I imagine it's got to be a super isolated incident. Johnathan's Polar Bear expedition was fairly extreme conditions, at -20C, to -30C for days. If it was common, you'd be hearing loud grumblings from us Canadians, as over a third of the year is sub 0C.
    On Flickr - Namethatnobodyelsetook on Flickr
    R8 | R7 | 7DII | 10-18mm STM | 24-70mm f/4L | Sigma 35mm f/1.4 | 50mm f/1.8 | 85mm f/1.8 | 70-300mm f/4-5.6L | RF 100-500mm f/4-5-7.1L

I spent a week in the U.P. at -15 C to -30 C using the camera every day for many hours, and never saw a problem. And have used it many days this winter at -15 deg C with no problem. In fact, there have been very few times I have used it since getting it last September that I have been able to use it above 0 deg C. I hope it is not going to be a future issue, because I would be in trouble.

Pat
    5DS R, 1D X, 7D, Sigma 10-20mm f/4-5.6, 24mm f/1.4L II, 16-35mm f/4L IS, 24-105mm f/4L, 50mm f/1.8, 100mm Macro f/2.8L, 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II, 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L, 580EX-II
    flickr

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Setters View Post
    I did see that (from a couple of different sources). However, we're waiting on an official statement from Canon before we publish information on this supposed phenomenon.
    I recognize that you (while wearing the administrative hat) have an obligation to wait for an official statement. However, for those not in a para-official capacity, it's a worthwhile topic to discuss, as billing a customer for a repair that ought to be free and ought to be covered under a proactive service bulletin is, in my opinion, a rather poor way to treat customers. I say this having replaced the transmission on my Ford Excursion with only 45k miles due to the failure of a plastic part; failure of that part was covered under warranty if the vehicle had a gas engine, but Ford felt the lower RPM of the diesel prevented the part from failing. Imagine the coincidence when a friend's diesel Ford Excursion failed the same part at 45k...

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Setters View Post
    I talked to Bryan this morning, and he's never experienced AF issues in cold weather. So if it is a genuine issue, it might be an isolated one or possibly only an issue in extreme circumstances.
    With lots and lots of due respect, one negative sampling does not make the issue 'isolated'.
    We're a Canon/Profoto family: five cameras, sixteen lenses, fifteen Profoto lights, too many modifiers.

I got one of the 'early' 1DX cameras in July 2012 and I've never experienced this autofocus problem with it. My recent polar bear trip was the most serious cold-weather test I've ever given it, and I got tack-sharp images the whole way through. So hopefully like Sean said it might be a rare phenomenon, my camera is okay.

Mine was a pre-release pre-order, and although I haven't used it extensively in sub-freezing temps, I have been out shooting eagles on a couple of occasions for a few <32 °F hours, and for several shorter periods when my kids were out playing in the snow. I experienced no AF issues on those occasions.