Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Who needs the mirror?

Re: Who needs the mirror?

Quote Originally Posted by Manofmayo

Back in the film days, didn't Canon or Nikon come out with a pro camera where the mirror didn't raise for each shot?

The Canon EOS RT and EOS 1N RS are two such cameras. They used pellicle mirrors as someone mentioned earlier in the thread.

Quote Originally Posted by wickerprints
    So while less extreme retrofocus designs would be an advantage, this does not come without its own disadvantages as well.

You bring up a good point. Another potential downside is that certain microlens designs cause sensors to have a low angle of response, so that non-telecentric designs reduce the amount of light gathered. This was one of the claims that Four Thirds marketed about their telecentric designs (though I'm not sure it was ever real since they've silently abandoned it and they're dramatically reversing their lens designs). I've read that modern microlenses are much better now (more so than than bare silicon and better than film too).

Personally, I think I'd much prefer the non-retro-focal (rangefinder) designs, because I can live with the dramatically increased vignetting in order to get better distortion, flare, C.A., and contrast. But I don't think Canon will come out with such designs for a very long time, because they could only market the lenses to owners of the new cameras (if and when they come out).

Bringing a lens closer to the sensor is only useful for wide-angle
    <div style="clear: both;"]</div>

What I am talking about is when you use an adapter to mount a nikon lens to a canon camera, the adapter moves the lens farther away from the sensor and you loose the full range of focus. With these cameras where their lense is closer to the sensor and you adapt a canon or nikon lens and the adapter moves the lens out it will be the right distance.

Mark
    Mark

Quote Originally Posted by clemmb

Bringing a lens closer to the sensor is only useful for wide-angle

What I am talking about is when you use an adapter to mount a nikon lens to a canon camera, the adapter moves the lens farther away from the sensor and you loose the full range of focus. With these cameras where their lense is closer to the sensor and you adapt a canon or nikon lens and the adapter moves the lens out it will be the right distance.

Mark

I found the article that explains it much better then I.

Adapters have been around for years, but they never worked well. The
    extra length they added to a lens meant that it would be mounted too far
    off the body, and couldn&rsquo;t focus at infinity. But because these new
    cameras don&rsquo;t have mirror boxes, their native lenses sit much closer to
    the sensor. Adapters, then, have to move DSLR lenses further away. This is why they work so well with these little cameras.
    <div style="overflow: hidden; color: #000000; background-color: transparent; text-align: left; text-decoration: none; border: medium none;"]
    </div>
    Mark