Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Sigma 50 mm f/1.4 Art

Quote Originally Posted by neuroanatomist View Post
    I hope Bryan chooses to test one or more copies of the lens purchased retail to see if the results align with the copy provided by Sigma.
    +1

I think that is the solution. I understand TDP having to get their review up in order to be competitive with other sites. SLRgear had a significant number of hits because they were the first review. But I absolutely agree. I trust Bryan's reviews more than most. I simply think he tries harder. If he is seeing copy variation, he tests multiple copies. The only other group I've seen do this is lensrentals, for obvious reasons. But it would be great to see the review results for the 50A verified with a true production copy.

That said, I think the picture is getting clearer with the "Art" series. Excellent optics, especially sharpness. Not the necessarily the old AF issues that Sigma had, but perhaps AF inconsistency issues. I suspect the level of light may affect the Sigma Art lenses more than it affects Canon lens. I'll try to test that tomorrow morning with the 35A.

Of course, the end result is important, can the "Art" lenses deliver the images you want. This may be why I am sensitive to the AF, but I "missed" several shots due to the AF issue in lower light. I've only tried the 35A in two events, so it deserves more of a chance, but one particular sequence with my niece and sister-in-law could have been great. But the 35A missed AF on consecutive shots. Usually with an EF lens, at least one shot would be sharp.

Quote Originally Posted by Kayaker72 View Post
    ...but one particular sequence with my niece and sister-in-law could have been great. But the 35A missed AF on consecutive shots. Usually with an EF lens, at least one shot would be sharp.
    That's what would worry me. In a controlled test (the butterfly/book series), where neither camera nor subject were moving, the 50A's AF clearly missed on 4 of the 10 shots shown, which Bryan states are representative of the more extensive series. I have a bit of trouble reconciling a 40% miss rate with 'occasional' AF inconsistency.

Thanks for the great discussion, everyone!

My review copy of the 50 Art was indeed manufacturer-provided (the only way to get one right now) and that of course leaves open the question of cherry picking. I will be very surprised if the copy I evaluated is noticeably better than the retail-purchased copies coming soon. If it is, Sigma's practice of selecting ultra-high performing models for evaluation purposes will quickly be called out. I'll try to get a retail copy of this lens in for testing. That way, we will all know. Sean will also be using this lens in more depth soon. We will advise on any inconsistencies we discover.

As for a 40% miss rate being high, I completely agree. My experience was not always that case. For example, I was probably getting a hit rate in high 80% range shooting runners at the track meet and probably in the mid-90% range during the long portrait session. Results with other subjects were mixed. Sometimes great. Sometimes not.

Let me know if you have any more questions!

I preordered the morning of the release, and all I have received is a notice saying that the 50A is backordered.

Anyone received theirs? Any impressions/photos to share?

From what I am reading and seeing on the web, this is a very nice lens but there are potential issues:
    • There are reports of AF issues. Apparently the Sigma Dock is a must as setting a single AFMA value at one distance isn't enough. The dock allows you to set different AFMA values for different distances.
    • Of course, AFMA is about accuracy, not precision. There seem to be precision issues, potentially similar to what Bryan noted. I've seen at least two reports where people are having perfect AF for a large number of shots and then, inexplicably, AF misses.
    • Color rendition. Seems that certain colors are more saturated and I am wondering if others are less saturated.

Despite the above concerns, this lens seems to be making a very good impression with many and I've seen many impressive images. Of course, depending upon the severity, the above issues may be enough for me to keep my 50 f/1.4.

I received my Sigma 50mm f/1.4 DG HSM Art lens yesterday.

I haven't given it a thorough workout yet, but AF has been impressively accurate thus far. AF is a tad slower than most USM lenses, but not so slow as to impede typical shooting.

I didn't get the chance to test AF at longer focal distances, so I can't confirm/deny any issues there. But I do own the Sigma USB Dock and can correct for AF drift at longer distances.

And as for color - well, I'm color blind. I don't think I can comment how which colors are more saturated than others. :-)

The following was shot at 7:44pm last night. Although it doesn't seem so in the picture, the light was very dim. So dim that I'm sure my previous 5D II body would not have been able to focus at all.

EXIF:
    5D Mark III in Av Mode
    Sigma 50mm f/1.4 DG HSM Art
    f/1.4, 1/40 sec, ISO 1600 (yes, I know I'm below the 1/focal length threshold)

I post processed the image in Photoshop CC and increased brightness and contrast and added a warming color filter.

I plan on shooting some indoor basketball tonight to see how the lens performs when using AI Servo focusing. This will also give me the opportunity to shoot subjects at greater distances to see if AF stays spot-on.

Quote Originally Posted by Kayaker72 View Post
    Of course, depending upon the severity, the above issues may be enough for me to keep my 50 f/1.4.
    ....or...the concerns may be much ado about nothing....

Great shot Sean

It will be interesting to hear your thoughts.

I used the Sigma 50mm f/1.4 DG HSM for two separate shoots yesterday. One was a senior portrait session and the other a basketball game. I thought the Sigma lens performed very well in the statis portraiture shots, even under challenging AF conditions (I was using the Singh Ray Vari-N-Duo set to a heavy variable ND setting).

It missed AF on some shots, but several of those may be attributed to focus and recomposition when using a wide f/1.6 aperture. This ended up being my favorite from that session:

The Singh Ray filter adds its own warmth to the image. I could have reduced it in post (which I did slightly), but I ended up liking its impact on the skin tones more so than not and certainly appreciated the filter's polarizing effect.

Note that I cleaned up a great deal of the subject's acne in post which reduced the sharpness of what was achieved in the originally captured image.

As far as its performance as the basketball game, I'm afraid I wasn't able to draw a firm conclusion as to its AF performance. It nailed a lot of the closer shots, but it missed many that were further away. After changing my AF setting in the AF preferences from Case 1 to Case 4 I got better results. That said, I don't know if it's because I was locking onto my subjects for a longer period of time prior to actually snapping the first frame in a burst or if the chosen Case was doing a better job.

You can find an example of one of my favorites from the game here. Please note that it was processed with a Topaz Clarity filter that gave it a somewhat HDR look. I was also shooting at ISO 3200 and the processing caused it to look worse from an ISO standpoint (highlighting detail contrast). Overall, I liked the effect (and so did the subject).

Put in the order about week ago for the 50 1.4 Art and the new 16-35 L f4.

Well let you know on both.

Might change out the t3i 17-55 for the 70d and Sigma 18-35 1.8.

Major relapse of G.A.S.
    If you see me with a wrench, call 911

Quote Originally Posted by Busted Knuckles View Post
    Put in the order about week ago for the 50 1.4 Art and the new 16-35 L f4.

Well let you know on both.

Might change out the t3i 17-55 for the 70d and Sigma 18-35 1.8.

Major relapse of G.A.S.
    Ha! Usually G.A.S. hits me during the later stages of winter. Much more of a seasonal malady, but maybe that is up north. That said, my case does seem to have lingered; my 50A arrives Tuesday. I ordered two about 3 hrs apart the day they were announced in early April. I am getting one and the other is still on order. For a $950 lens, both the AF and IQ will have to impress me to keep it. If I keep it, I'll likely have to sell my 35A and 50 f/1.4.

Still thoroughly enjoying the Sigma 50mm f/1.4 Art:

Amanda at Dogwood Park by budrowilson, on Flickr