Thread: 1D mark II

1D mark II

i know that its an older camera but is it still worth buying ? i can get a used one for 350$
    Stuart Edwards
    1DX Mark II , 6D , Samyang 14mm f2.8 ,Sigma 85mm f1.4A , 24-105mm f/4L IS , 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II ,100-400 f5.6L II , 300mm f/2.8L II , EF 1.4x III , EF 2x III, 430EX II

I previously had the 1DIIn. The only difference as far as I know is the size of the LCD. I had purchased this camera from KEH and it was in excellent condition.
    I loved the camera. I recently enlarged a bridal to 16x20 that was shot with it. It came out fantastic.
    Image00194_fpv by clemmb60, on Flickr

I also loved using it at rodeos
    IMG_0198 by clemmb60, on Flickr

8.5 fps and great autofocus made for some great captured. I loved the feel of this camera so much I grabbed for it more than my 5D. I have now replaced it with a 1DIII.
    Last edited by clemmb; 05-03-2014 at 07:55 PM.
    Mark

I've heard you have to hold the button and spin the wheel while the button is held, to change any button-driven settings. Is that true? I've heard the button logic got much better in the 1D[s] Mark III generation.

IIRC the 1D2 lets you pick any AF point...if so, that could be a nice "upgrade" from the 1D3 (only 19 of 45 were selectable).
    We're a Canon/Profoto family: five cameras, sixteen lenses, fifteen Profoto lights, too many modifiers.

I have a 1Ds2, and I have to press at least one (often two) buttons before spinning the wheel unless I want affect aperture or shutter speed... even in menus, image playback, etc. It's very odd, but you do get used to it. In the meantime, you'll be accidentally changing your settings often.

Just a caveat, which may or may not be a concern, is that the 1D2 is fairly low-res, at 8.2MP. The 1Ds2 allows you to limit the number of focus points that are active, but these settings, along with burst rate, copyright name, etc can only be changed with an older utility, when connected via firewire (the USB port (USB 1!), is not sufficient). I'm guessing the 1D2 has the same limits, but I don't know.
    On Flickr - Namethatnobodyelsetook on Flickr
    R8 | R7 | 7DII | 10-18mm STM | 24-70mm f/4L | Sigma 35mm f/1.4 | 50mm f/1.8 | 85mm f/1.8 | 70-300mm f/4-5.6L | RF 100-500mm f/4-5-7.1L

Quote Originally Posted by peety3 View Post
    I've heard you have to hold the button and spin the wheel while the button is held, to change any button-driven settings. Is that true? I've heard the button logic got much better in the 1D[s] Mark III generation..
    True but you get used to it. The 1DIII is better.
    Picking any of 45 points takes too much time to spin and select. I always had it set for 19. On the 1DIII the other points are assist during action.
    Mark

I'd get it if the camera has low milage, the camera has a 2-inch LCD so you will have to get used to that too. 8 mgp is plenty if you don't crop a lot, the image quality is great. I'd take this camera over any of the xxxD and xxD body.