Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Canon 5D and Flash Problems

Canon 5D and Flash Problems

My 5D has been slowly getting worse with using a flash.
    The flash will fire, but not show any effect on the picture.
    When shooting into a mirror the flash doesn't show in the picture at all, even though it fires.
    Sometimes I could give the flash a push down on the camera and it will start working.
    Now it doesn't help.
    I have tried the flash unit on another camera and that is fine. Also have two flash units and both produce the same problem, yet work on the other camera.

Any ideas?

I can only assume something has broken on the cameras hot shoes...

What shutter speed are you using? If faster than 1/250 you need to set the flash to high speed sync so it will fire when the shutter is open. Also you should clean the contacts on the flash and on the camera

How old is your flash unit? If it is an older flash, the flash tube may be wearing out. If it is newer then it's always good to clean the contacts on both the flash and the camera body. If that doesn't work, let us know and we can maybe try some other suggestions.

If it is something in the shoe call canon and get a replacement shoe. It's around $30 or so and super easy to do on your own.

Ok, for one it's nothing to do with shutter speeds etc. It's the same setup I always use.

I have two 580ex2's. Both work fine and flawless on my 50D.

On my 5D using either of them doesn't work at all. The flash clearly fires but doesn't show on the photo at all.
    The fault has progressively become permanent. I could before push on the flash and it would start working as it should.
    Now it doesn't show any light.

It used to be perfect, but has slowly got worse, as if a contact in the cameras shoe has either broken/come lose.

I have tried cleaning the contacts on the camera but that didn't work, and also tightening the screws on the cameras shoe. Still no luck.
    It's a Mark 1 5D, so worried you can't get spares for it anymore?

It sounds like a trip to Canon's Service Center may be your best option. :-/

Let's ask this again: what shutter speed are you using? IIRC, the 5D had a sync speed of 1/200th, NOT 1/250th. I doubt you're shooting just at 1/250th where you'd have sync issues, but I figure we should clarify regardless.
    We're a Canon/Profoto family: five cameras, sixteen lenses, fifteen Profoto lights, too many modifiers.

The 5D will not go above 200 with a flash attached unless you turn on multi-sysc.
    I agree with Sean, contact a Canon repair center. They do great work and resonable.
    Mark

Gone in to repair today. I'm getting a service done on it as it probably needs one anyway!

They will let me know if it will cost more for any repairs.

Cheers guys

Quote Originally Posted by Maleko View Post
    Gone in to repair today. I'm getting a service done on it as it probably needs one anyway!
    Any updates on your flash?
    We're a Canon/Profoto family: five cameras, sixteen lenses, fifteen Profoto lights, too many modifiers.

Well, late reply... Lol. Got it back and all was fine...for a bit... Started happening again. Sent it back in and no fault found, since then its been fine... Confusing...