Thread: Autofocus Modes

Autofocus Modes

What does everyone here tend to use for autofocus modes? My default always used to be one shot AF unless I knew specifically I was shooting something with action. But since our 15-month-old son is always on the move, lately I've been leaving the camera in AI Servo, even for static shots (since I never know when he's going to take-off again). Is there any real disadvantage to using servo mode all the time? I like the focus confirmation with one shot but also like the continuous focus of servo. I've never really tried AI Focus...in practice is it actually useful? Is it the best of both or another compromise?

I know all modes have there uses and I've been trying to get better at switching on-the-fly, but I was just wondering how everyone else handles autofocus.

Stephen

I use servo mode almost exclusively. I use back button focus so for a static shot I can focus and recompose the image in the viewfinder before firing the shutter. That is similar to One Shot mode.

Single shot is supposed to be more accurate, but I am not sure it makes that much difference. However, there are times I want that confirmation or servo just won't grab the right spot. So a couple of months ago I reprogramed two back buttons - the af button is set for servo and the * button is single shot. Now that I am used to it, I have the best of all worlds. I can lock in the focus with servo or one shot, and meter with the shutter button. The biggest problem is you can not hand your camera to anyone to take a shot because they cannot figure out how to focus... but that does not happen often.

Pat

Sent via taptalk
    5DS R, 1D X, 7D, Sigma 10-20mm f/4-5.6, 24mm f/1.4L II, 16-35mm f/4L IS, 24-105mm f/4L, 50mm f/1.8, 100mm Macro f/2.8L, 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II, 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L, 580EX-II
    flickr

i too employ the techniques of Joel. I like how you've set up your camera conropl...i may have to borrow that system of yours. I laughed (sorry, but not out loud so no "LOL") regarding handing your camera to somebody to take a shot. I have a fix that works great...put your Canon on GREEN MODE and everyone feels like they can work a DSLR. I did that for my sister on a recent trip to Hawaii and she said she loved how a "real camera" feels.

Quote Originally Posted by erno james View Post
    I did that for my sister on a recent trip to Hawaii and she said she loved how a "real camera" feels.
    And that comment made me chuckle a bit. ;-)

Autofocus Modes

Hi, I'd say I use a few AF modes more often than other ones:

- Single shot AF with AF on shutter release button is the default. After use of any other mode I reset it to this.

- Servo AF with AF on back button is what I typically use for action shooting (e.g. hockey).

- Now and then I use servo AF with AF on shutter release button. I find this mode handy e.g. for wide aperture portraits. In a burst of 3-4 shots this usually gives me at least one with perfect focus on the eye I was aiming for.

I may have played with AI focus some time, but as far as I can recall I've never really used it.
    Last edited by cls; 05-11-2014 at 04:09 PM.

Thanks for the feedback.

Pat: I like that you have one shot and servo mapped to two different buttons...I'm not sure I can do this on my 5d3. Something to check out. Right now I do have the DOF preview button mapped to temporarily change the AF mode, but I never think of using it.

As for back-button-focus, I've gone back and forth using that at times. One of my main reasons for not using it all the time is cause the wife occasionally will try to take a couple shots of our son when I'm not around. I'll have to remember Erno's "green square" trick!

Stephen

edit: I just noticed that in "green square mode" the AF mode switches to AI Focus by default. Interesting.
    Last edited by NFLD Stephen; 05-08-2014 at 11:16 PM.

I also set my camera to back button focus (AF-ON button). So when I'm on AI Servo mode and need to take a shot of a stationary subject I press the AF-ON button to focus, let it go after focus is achieved, recompose and press the shutter button to take the shot, if my subject moves I simply press and hold the AF-ON button to track my subject. Fot this technique to work, you need to turn OFF focusing when the shutter button is half pressed.

I've tried back-button focus a time or two, and never caught onto it. Part of the challenge is that my wife (and now my Dad) could possibly grab one of my cameras, and I know they'd be lost with back-button focus. I'm also afraid that I'll get a thumb cramp trying to hold that button in for a long time.

Instead, I've come up with a workaround: I leave my camera in AI-Servo, and set the AF-ON button to instead be an AF-OFF button. Half-press the shutter starts IS and AF like "usual", and holding the AF-ON button is effectively a focus lock. This works like a champ for me, and it's easy enough to teach to my wife.
    We're a Canon/Profoto family: five cameras, sixteen lenses, fifteen Profoto lights, too many modifiers.