Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Tamron 17-50 2.8

Hard to judge at this size, but part does seem to be in focus, but it looks like this shot is setup such that any non-macro lens would have issues. You are presumably, very close to MFD (minimum focus distance), which is 11" from sensor. Non-Macro lenses are NOT optimized for this. I would expect softness.

I'm not sure what settings you were shooting at, but assuming 50mm, f/2.8, with the flower near the minimum focus distance, your DOF is tiny... DOFMaster says it's about 0.1", roughly 0.05" in front and back will be in focus. Typically DOF is calculated for what would make a good 8x10 print at 100dpi, but we're all much pickier than that. Viewing zoomed in on a monitor, you will see blur at much less than 0.1". This is probably the worst-case shooting situation you could create, for any lens.

If you want to be shooting flowers, and other small things, I'd recommend you return this lens and get a macro lens. If this isn't what you want to shoot, then I suggest re-testing the lens on a subject that's more typical of what you want to shoot.
    On Flickr - Namethatnobodyelsetook on Flickr
    R8 | R7 | 7DII | 10-18mm STM | 24-70mm f/4L | Sigma 35mm f/1.4 | 50mm f/1.8 | 85mm f/1.8 | 70-300mm f/4-5.6L | RF 100-500mm f/4-5-7.1L

thanks Dave. I didn't buy this lens for macro stuff. I was shooting this flower as a test comparing auto focus and manual. I took some shots of an office with furniture and pictures on the wall and those shots were soft as well.
    Last edited by jerrytech1; 05-09-2014 at 05:50 PM.

I have decided to keep the lens for a few weeks and really test it out…thanks for the input…greatly appreciated...
    Last edited by jerrytech1; 05-09-2014 at 08:41 PM.

I should have read more of the discussion before replying, but I do remember using that lens. Actually Sean talked me into keeping it when I was busy complaining about the focus noise and it searching for focus when there wasn't enough contrast in the subject. Because I was using it for landscape and interior rooms shots, the problems I had with it were meaningless. Rocks and chairs are rarely spooked by noise making manual focus that much easier. When I did use auto focus, I had to make sure there was something there for the camera to lock on to. I was usually happy with the results barring stupidity on my end. For what I wanted in a lens at that price range, it was ideal. If through manual focusing you can't get anything sharp in the frame, it is prolly a bad copy and needs fixed. Using auto focus mode, if it just misses the focus point, that means you need the lens calibrated to your camera. I hope this incident doesn't sway you from buying Tamron /Sigma lens. When buying something new, you expect it to work and it should, but we're asking a lot of technology /small parts... And multiple shipping trucks with humans throwing them around in between. It's a small miracle most lens work. Hope your luck improves with this lens and future purchases.
    Words get in the way of what I meant to say.

I have made arrangements to return this lens. I will absolutely be sticking with Canon only from here on…thanks everyone for your feedback…greatly appreciated.
    Last edited by jerrytech1; 05-10-2014 at 08:41 PM.

I was going to respond as I am a big advocate for this lens. I have used it for 6 years and after sending it to tamron to adjust it, it is one of the sharpest lenses in my bag. Sorry it didn't work out for you.

Jayson. Your work is amazing. Could you possibly specify a few of the images that were shot with the Tamron?