Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Lowepro Nature Trekker II vs Photo Trekker II, difference?

Re: Lowepro Nature Trekker II vs Photo Trekker II, difference?

Quote Originally Posted by airfang

I say it'd be of great help if you guys can post pictures of ur actual setup/fully loaded..

I sometimes just have hard time trying to figure that out...
    <div style="clear: both;"]</div>

That sort of information is very helpful. You can find quite a bit at Cambags.com, including photos and descriptions of how many people use their bags. Camera bags (and other carrying methods) are as individual as tastes in music. There are, as far as I can figure, several basic approaches:
    • Backpacks: lots of variations, including some that can carry a laptop, as well

• Traditional rear-load like the Lowepro Trekker series, Kata backpacks, etc
      • Side-access, like the Lowepro Fastpack series
      • Front-access like the Lowepro Flipside series (the opening is next to your body--helps prevent theft
      • Combinations with a beltpack (e.g., Think Tank Rotation 360)

• Slings (single strap), like the Lowepro Slingshots and Kata slings (may be side-access, top-access, or rear access)
    • Shoulder bags (the traditional "gadget bag" and its descendants)
    • Belt pouches and beltpacks (these can be small, like for a point-and-shoot camera, or surprisingly large, like the Think Tank Speed Demon/Freak/Racer)
    • Modular systems, usually on a belt and/or harness (Lowepro, Think Tank, Kinesis)
    • Rollers (good for traveling and wedding photographers)
    • Holsters (Lowerpro Toploaders, Think Tank Digital Holsters, Kata holsters) -- may use shoulder straps, belts, chest harness
    • Hand-carry (duffel-type bags, hard cases, tripod bags, lighting cases, etc)
    • Vests (some can carry a camera body without the lens, as well as the usual array of gadgets and smaller lenses--the Vested Interest vests are, well, different!)
    • Forklift carry (what some people need for their gear!)[H]

There are many issues involved in your preferences--for example:
    • What sort of photography do you do, which leads to what gear you'd like to carry?
    • Do you carry/wear the gear for a long time and/or travel long distances on foot?
    • Do you want quick access to gear (other than the camera on a strap) without removing the bag?
    • Do you need to "grab and shoot" or can you assemble what you need for each occasion?
    • Do you need to carry the camera in the bag, as well as lenses, flash, etc?
    • Do you carry a laptop and its accessories?
    • Do you carry a tripod or monopod? (There are cases and straps, plus you can attach them to some bags.)
    • Will you travel by air with it?
    • What environment(s) will you be in? For example, if you'll be on the streets--or going through woods or brush, a bag or system that projects out from your side(s) can be difficult to maneuver. A lot of nature photographers like vests, but you'll need to take it off if you want to lie down on your stomach for low-angle shots.
    • What's your own body type and condition? Some of us old fogies can't carry as much as we once could, plus any belt bag has to fit around or under the stomach. [:$]

Wedding photographers, sports shooters, nature lovers, hikers, birders, landscape artists, macro mavens, urban explorers, travelers, and photojournalists will have different needs--as will the rest of us who dabble in a bit of 'dis and 'dat.

I've tried several approaches, bags and systems by Canon, Lowepro, Kata, Case Logic, Eagle Creek, Roadwired, and Think Tank. Until a few months ago, my primary DSLR bag was a Lowepro Slingshot 200 AW, supplemented by a small duffle bag and Lowepro lens cases. (Before I had a DSLR, I used various pouches &amp; shoulder bags for my Canon S3 IS, G2, and camcorders. MANY years ago, I used traditional gadget bags for 35mm gear.) The Slingshot was easy to grab out of my car and carried most of what I used at the time. (My largest lens was a 70-200mm f/4.) As you can see from Bryan's review, the Slingshot is designed for easy access to at least some of the gear without having to take off the bag. (I modified mine so that I could get the flash and long zoom through the side, without removing the bag.) Unfortunately, the Slingshot 200 can't easily carry the 100-400mm or 70-200mm f/2.8 I got later. I got the Slingshot 300 AW, which will carry those, but never really used it. Plus, the sling isn't as comfortable for me as a regular backpack. On the other hand, it's very easy to pick up and go.

Lowepro makes a wide range of excellent bags, plus they have a belt/harness system, excellent lens cases (hard to beat them for protection), etc. Bryan obviously likes Lowepro gear, as most of his bag reviews are of Lowepro bags. Except for a Kata holster/sling (quickly abandoned and in need of selling!) and Canon gadget bag &amp; backpack (ditto), I used mostly Lowepro bags and pouches for quite a while, but have switched to Think Tank for the most part.

I now use a Think Tank Speed Racer to carry a 30D + grip with 17-85mm or 17-55mm f/2.8 IS mounted, plus 100-400mm, 100mm Macro, Sigma 10-20mm, 1.4x extender, and doo-dads. (I also carry a duffel/gym bag in the car with other stuff.) If I need a flash, I can stick it into one of the side pockets on the Speed Racer or in a Think Tank Lightning Fast on the Speed Racer's belt. (I adapt the contents--70-200mm f/2.8 in place of the 100-400mm; camcorder and/or fast primes in place of the other lenses and extender; 580EX flash + Really Right Stuff Wedding Pro bracket + off-camera cord in place of the long lens; etc.) I also have several Think Tank Lens Changers (not as protective as Lowepro lens cases, but more convenient to carry) that fit on the Speed Racer's belt. The Speed Racer is easy to access while wearing, or I can take it off and set it down, as it's self-supporting. For comfort and convenience, I can shift the Speed Racer to the side, front, or back.

If I'll be indoors or outdoors when the weather is good (no rain!) and don't need a place to put the camera out of the weather, I often drop down to a Think Tank Change Up belt/shoulder bag for several lenses, flash, etc., as it's a lot less bulky. If I'm moving a lot, I can use a Think Tank Pro Speed Belt and modular components to relieve my shoulders.

For traveling with a DSLR, which I haven't done, yet, I got a Think Tank Airport Acceleration backpack. It's not great for nature photography (I have a Lowepro Mini Trekker AW for that, if the Speed Racer isn't enough), but it doesn't look like a camera bag and fits nicely in overhead compartments. I probably should have bought a roller like the Airport International, instead, but I got the Airport Acceleration for a good price on eBay.

Recently, I bought a [url="http://www.rotation360.com/]Think Tank Rotation 360
    George Slusher
    Lt Col, USAF (Ret)
    Eugene, OR

Wow, George, that's the longest post I have ever seen... even the website alone I need some time to digest...

Thank you sooo much for the detailed explanation!

Another good camera case/bacpack/bag web database is:

http://www.taschenfreak.de/indexliste.htm