Thread: Don't try to mount EF-S lenses

Don't try to mount EF-S lenses

By a stupid mistake, I thought I was holding a 7D and attempted to put the EF-S 17-55 mm f/2.8 IS USM on the camera. But it was the 1DX I had in my hand. The EF-S lens doesn't fit, of course, but the problem was that the rubber ring at the rear of the lens, that ring which prevents mounting on an EF lenses only body, it opened the latch for the focusing screen. The screen frame opened, the screen fell out and got scratched.

Not that it's very expensive to get a new one, but quite unnecessary. So don't mess with EF-S lenses near your 1DX!

how do you mistake a 7D for a 1Dx?
    Mark

With a battery grip in place I can *almost* understand that.
    Mark - Flickr

You have both on the same table, grab the camera and start mounting the lens. The 7D has a WFT-E5B mounted, so it's not too different in size, and mounting lenses is something I've done so many times that I feel I can do it in the sleep. Well, considering the result this particular time, it kind of was in the sleep...

As Forest Gump said: "Stupid is as stupid does".

Quote Originally Posted by M_Six View Post
    With a battery grip in place I can *almost* understand that.
    If you've picked these up with your eyes closed, there's a distinct feel difference in my opinion. If you grab it by the normal grip, your pinky probably feels a more distinct bump of the battery bay on a 7D or the noticeable separation between body and grip, your hand feels a subtle compressibility to the plastic underneath the grippy material, the thumbstick has a notably different surface (recessed with a notched ring on 7D, raised/gridded on 1Dx), and then there's the weight. If you grab it by the vertical grip, the 7D is rather unergonomic IMHO, there's no second thumbstick, and my fingers are always tempted to verify that the tripod screw is tightened.

If by chance you have a Really Right Stuff L-bracket on it, the 7D has a square Arca-Swiss base (which I hate) that gives it a weeble-wobble feel on a countertop, while the 1Dx has a long rectangular AS base that I find a lot more stable.

That said, sorry you bumped into this problem.
    We're a Canon/Profoto family: five cameras, sixteen lenses, fifteen Profoto lights, too many modifiers.

I only have 5D3s so I don't have to worry about that. Sorry, trying to lighten the mood. I've actually seen threads out there on the web of people who have manipulated their EF-S lenses in order to mount them on their EF bodies. I'm not sure why you'd want to other than for the chance to say you did. The results are peculiar of course.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Mayer View Post
    I only have 5D3s so I don't have to worry about that. Sorry, trying to lighten the mood. I've actually seen threads out there on the web of people who have manipulated their EF-S lenses in order to mount them on their EF bodies. I'm not sure why you'd want to other than for the chance to say you did. The results are peculiar of course.
    It was done by some 1D-series owners. Since the 1D series used APS-H sensors with a 1.3x crop factor, the ultrawide zooms for FF (16-35, 17-40) didn't give wider than 20mm on those bodies. Mounting a modified EF-S 10-22mm on a 1D body was usable from 12-13mm onward, giving a 16mm FF-equivalent FoV.

So if I mount the EFS 10-22mm on my FF body does it now turn in to a 16-35mm.

Sorry I couldn't resist.

Quote Originally Posted by HDNitehawk View Post
    So if I mount the EFS 10-22mm on my FF body does it now turn in to a 16-35mm.
    Yes. It works like this. You've broken your FF body, so you mount the lens on your crop body. It is now effectively 16-35mm.
    On Flickr - Namethatnobodyelsetook on Flickr
    R8 | R7 | 7DII | 10-18mm STM | 24-70mm f/4L | Sigma 35mm f/1.4 | 50mm f/1.8 | 85mm f/1.8 | 70-300mm f/4-5.6L | RF 100-500mm f/4-5-7.1L