Thread: 1Ds III or 5DIII????

1Ds III or 5DIII????

Question: Which is the better choice?

Usage: Landscape primarily, possible for some studio work as well. High ISO, video, and Servo AF are not factors in the decision at all.

Money wise a lightly used 1DsIII is in the same area as the 5DIII, or a bit less. Weather sealing goes to 1D3. Remaining shutter life favours 1D body. Are there any compelling reasons to pick one over the other that any of you can see at all for this expected use? Interested in your thoughts and opinions on this.

• I like the secure feeling you get with a well sealed body (1D) for landscapes, but the 5D III is no slouch either.
    • Personally, I would not overlook the benefits of high ISO performance for landscape. Night time photography and landscapes go really well together. The high ISO's really help you to get rid of the star trails and get a nice night time scene.
    • The 1D will allow you to move the metering area to the focus point. So you can single point focus off center and have the metering at the same point. Not possible with the 5D III.
    • The 1D is a bit heavier, and the 5D III can be broke down further by removing the grip (assuming you have one) to make it lighter and less conspicuous.
    • Remember to add the grip in the cost 5D III. The one with the extra joy stick for portrait is nice but not cheap.
    • I always found the grip on my 7D added a lot of flexibility to the mount on a tripod. I like the added stiffness of the 1D's built in grip.
    • The 5D III has quiet mode shooting if you want to shoot wildlife.

I am not sure I helped narrow it down, but added a few things to consider. If I was in your position, I would probably be looking at the 5D III just for the night time shooting. If low light shooting is not important, then I would probably be leaning toward the 1D.

Pat
    5DS R, 1D X, 7D, Sigma 10-20mm f/4-5.6, 24mm f/1.4L II, 16-35mm f/4L IS, 24-105mm f/4L, 50mm f/1.8, 100mm Macro f/2.8L, 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II, 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L, 580EX-II
    flickr

Quote Originally Posted by conropl View Post
    • I like the secure feeling you get with a well sealed body (1D) for landscapes, but the 5D III is no slouch either.
    • Personally, I would not overlook the benefits of high ISO performance for landscape. Night time photography and landscapes go really well together. The high ISO's really help you to get rid of the star trails and get a nice night time scene.
    • The 1D will allow you to move the metering area to the focus point. So you can single point focus off center and have the metering at the same point. Not possible with the 5D III.
    • The 1D is a bit heavier, and the 5D III can be broke down further by removing the grip (assuming you have one) to make it lighter and less conspicuous.
    • Remember to add the grip in the cost 5D III. The one with the extra joy stick for portrait is nice but not cheap.
    • I always found the grip on my 7D added a lot of flexibility to the mount on a tripod. I like the added stiffness of the 1D's built in grip.
    • The 5D III has quiet mode shooting if you want to shoot wildlife.

I am not sure I helped narrow it down, but added a few things to consider. If I was in your position, I would probably be looking at the 5D III just for the night time shooting. If low light shooting is not important, then I would probably be leaning toward the 1D.

Pat
    I agree with the above. The 5DIII has a small edge in overall image quality but very small.
    A good used 1DsIII from KEH is less expensive than a 5DIII w/grip. I just picked one up for $2,189 and they are giving a 6 month warranty now.
    I love this camera
    Mark

jrw...what's the set up you use more frequently? 1DX? 1DsIII?

The only thing I could add to the above discussion without looking into things a bit more is it would be nice if you could have consistent batteries. Nice, but not essential. That, and I think the ISO range would be limiting, even for landscapes, as Pat mentioned.

Quote Originally Posted by Kayaker72 View Post
    jrw...what's the set up you use more frequently? 1DX? 1DsIII?

The only thing I could add to the above discussion without looking into things a bit more is it would be nice if you could have consistent batteries. Nice, but not essential. That, and I think the ISO range would be limiting, even for landscapes, as Pat mentioned.
    I mentioned I just picked up a 1DsIII. I did not mention I also picked up a 1DIII also used from KEH. I love them both. 10MP is plenty for sports.
    Here are some of mine: https://www.flickr.com/photos/markcl...7643721939854/
    Mark

Quote Originally Posted by jrw View Post
    ....I suppose I am answering my own question, but as it is more of a contrarian position I am also looking for a sanity/reality check from other people.
    Quote Originally Posted by clemmb View Post
    I mentioned I just picked up a 1DsIII. I did not mention I also picked up a 1DIII also used from KEH. I love them both. 10MP is plenty for sports.
    Here are some of mine: https://www.flickr.com/photos/markcl...7643721939854/
    I have no issues with older bodies. I've tried to joke before that the previous bodies were "awesome" and the newer bodies were "awesome(er)".....To me this gets down to specific reasons and purposes and I think you outlined your intended usage very well and the older bodies fit. When I bought my 5DIII I did briefly look at picking up a used 1DsIII instead. At the time, used prices were a bit higher, but it was still pretty comparable. I don't recall all the reasons why I went with the 5DIII, but I do recall that they were on the specific reasons why I was upgrading from the 7D. For example, I did want the higher ISO performance as low light photography was one of the reasons I was making the upgrade. I am also in a different situation whereas you have multiple bodies and can choose which body is best for your usage. I want to have a single body that is the best fit for all my intended uses. So, I went 5DIII. But I can certainly see using an older generation 1D series body.