Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Canon rebel T5 (1200D) Q&A

Zach

Question Canon rebel T5 (1200D) Q&A

I was wondering if anyone here has used the canon T5 (1200 D) if so how well does it work and how would you compare it to the Canon T3i (600 D)

any info would help!

~Zach

It is not 2x the camera T3i is very capable. Same sensor as the 7d. My humble opinion is to either go to 70d or 6d as the evolution.

The shutter on the is not officially rated but i bet you can get 100k exposures from the t3i.

If you are looking for additional features I suggest downloading magic lantern and putting that on the camera, very much an expansion of capabilities
    If you see me with a wrench, call 911

Zach,

Are you moving from a point and shoot camera? I thought I saw that from another post. Around the T5 price point you can pick up a refurbished 60D. The fact that you are here leads me to think that you'll quickly appreciate the handling, build quality, and features gained over the Rebels. If you already have the T3i then I agree with BK.

Zach
    the only camera I have is a cheap little digital one, why I ask is that I saw a new T5 bundle with a good bit of extras and an extra lens I was going to get anyway, all for the same price as the T3i so I thought that was a good deal so I have ordered it and i'm going to try it out, they have a very good return policy so I so if it doesn't work out I'm not stuck with it, I just wanted to ask the professionals (aka you guys) what you thought about it.

ps. this is my first DSLR camera

Out of curiosity, which lenses were bundled?
    On Flickr - Namethatnobodyelsetook on Flickr
    R8 | R7 | 7DII | 10-18mm STM | 24-70mm f/4L | Sigma 35mm f/1.4 | 50mm f/1.8 | 85mm f/1.8 | 70-300mm f/4-5.6L | RF 100-500mm f/4-5-7.1L

Zach
    the only lenses are the one that comes with the camera the EF-S 18-55mm IS II, and the one I was going to get the EF 75-300mm F4-5.6 III Lens

Do yourself a favor and stay away from the EF 75-300 mm f/4-5.6 III. Of all lenses in Canon's current line-up, it competes well to win the title of the lemon of them all.
    To get something similar, but much better, look instead at the EF-S 55-250 mm f/4-5.6 IS STM. You'll be much happier with that one. If you absolutely want something which in the future will mount on 24*36 mm sensor cameras as well, then look at the EF 70-300 mm f/4-5.6 IS USM. But leave the 75-300 behind!

As another mentioned, if you do nothing else, stay far away from the EF 75-300 mm f/4-5.6 III. Personally I don't think it competes for lemon of them all, but it actually wins the title. It's so mediocre that many sites don't even review it as the demand for it is low. Only the most dedicated of sites has done so. Bryan has a review you might want to peruse. I can understand that the price is attractive but you will be better off saving the cash towards something a little better. Sometimes there's a good reason things are cheap, and I don't mean just inexpensive.

My generic suggestion: if lensrentals.com doesn't rent it, you shouldn't buy it.
    We're a Canon/Profoto family: five cameras, sixteen lenses, fifteen Profoto lights, too many modifiers.

Zach
    thanks for the info guys, I'm surprised that canon would have such a bad lens in there stock, all in all if I keep the camera and bundle I only lose like 25$ on the lens, or I can return it all and have lost nothing, I do want to try the lens out myself to see the faults with it, thanks for all the input guys