Thread: Which version? Opinions, please.

Which version? Opinions, please.

Hi Folks,

I'm playing around with some high detail/high contrast processing and I can't decide if it works or not. One minute I like it, the next I don't. If you would be so kind, could you look at these two versions of the same image and tell me which one you think looks better? Much appreciated.

Version A

Version B

Mark - Flickr

Both are great but oh, I love the artsy flair of the second one!

Really nice shot. Very interesting... I keep looking at it trying figure it all out (with no success).

Personally I like the first one better. I am not a big fan of over cooked HDR images, and the second one has that feel to me.

Pat
    5DS R, 1D X, 7D, Sigma 10-20mm f/4-5.6, 24mm f/1.4L II, 16-35mm f/4L IS, 24-105mm f/4L, 50mm f/1.8, 100mm Macro f/2.8L, 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II, 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L, 580EX-II
    flickr

All good points.

Here's what I like about #2:

1. The skin tones on the two subject people.

2. Their clothing.

3. The artsy flair Denise mentioned.

4. The detail in the stonework of the fountain.

Here's what I don't like about #2:

1. The more noticeable background jrw mentioned.

2. The purples have lost some luster.

3. The slightly overcooked look (which I also noticed and don't usually like, Pat).

4. The detail in the stonework of the fountain. Mostly for the reason jrw mentioned. It distracts from the subjects.

The masking idea sounds like a good option. As it is, this image is a composite of the non-cooked image and the pseudo-HDR image. I just overlaid them and reduced opacity of one. But masking may have worked better. I'll give that a shot.

Thanks for all the advice, folks. I do like how this process brings out detail, but it is so easy to overcook. I need to develop a lighter touch.
    Mark - Flickr

Images from above overlaid in layers, then masked with a 30% brush on just the two subjects. Better, I think. Not so in-your-face, but more detail than the first image.

Mark - Flickr