Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: DPP v4.0

DPP v4.0

Lots of changes to DPP, runs faster too. One of the first things I notice is that triage is improved - the Quick Check mode now allows you to scroll through at 100% magnification (or a handful of fixed mags between 12.5% and 400%), rather than only the full image or 50% of v3.x. The overall workflow is closer to 'mainstream' RAW converters - all the tools are applied in the main editing pane, as opposed to v3 where cropping/horizon and clone/stamp were standalone 'modules'.

I'll stick with DxO Optics Pro myself, but DPP v4 does look like quite a substantial upgrade for DPP users. Those new to Canon RAW file processing may find it pretty usable (unlike prior versions, IMO).

Splash Screen:
    Name:  DPPv4.jpg
Views: 751
Size:  55.6 KB

New Dock Icon for Mac OS X:
    Name:  DPP v4 icon.jpg
Views: 774
Size:  22.1 KB
    Last edited by neuroanatomist; 06-17-2014 at 03:54 AM.

Nice to see. I switched to LR for a couple of reasons, one being the number of adjustments that you can make and the second being noise reduction. But DPP was a great tool, especially for the price. I'd be interested how much better they've made it. May have to download and play. But I've since signed up for the $9.99/month Adobe Creative Cloud package, so I am locked in for another 10 months, at least.

Neuro,
    Where did you get a copy?
    How do you think it compares to ACR? Ver 3.x is not near as good IMO.
    Mark

I still think DxO and ACR are easier to use and deliver better results.

Canon HK and Canon Australia have it for download. You need a serial number of a supported camera, only current FF bodies work (1D C, 1D X, 5DIII, 6D), other .CR2 files don't open.

So? Other than Canon wants us to buy new cameras, why would Canon not make DPP v4.0 open all .CR2 files?

Ten years from now will we have to own ten year old computer equipment and software to open all of our old files?
    The whole concept goes against archiving all of your .CR2 files in case you want to modify it someday in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by HDNitehawk View Post
    So? Other than Canon wants us to buy new cameras, why would Canon not make DPP v4.0 open all .CR2 files?

Ten years from now will we have to own ten year old computer equipment and software to open all of our old files?
    The whole concept goes against archiving all of your .CR2 files in case you want to modify it someday in the future.
    Agreed. I don't get it...

Quote Originally Posted by jrw View Post
    Edit: I archive my old image files in raw format but I also maintain an archive of software that can edit them and convert them to other formats if need be just in an effort to 'future proof' them.
    And it's not just the application software you need to keep, you also need the operating system the hardware. Just to prove a point, back in 2005 I tried to install Windows 3.1 on a current hardware PC and it wouldn't install.

I have no idea how we are going to keep images in the digital age, if manufactures do not support old formats.
    Canon EOS 7D, EF-S 10-22, EF 24-105L, EF 50 f1.2L, EF 70-300L, 430EX.

"Criticism is something you can easily avoid, by saying nothing, doing nothing and being nothing." -
    Tara Moss

It's too bad they decided to drop support for Canon 7D in this version. It's going to make it difficult in the future to go back to my saved edits on my CR2 files in DPP. I'm keeping a copy of the latest installer of the 3.x branch but who knows how long they'll support it.
    --

Not sure if it's been discussed elsewhere in the forums, but supposedly there is a tweak to get DPP 4.0 to work with a few of the Crop Sensor bodies (not all of them).

http://www.canonwatch.com/canons-new...-little-trick/

I don't know enough about EXIF settings, etc, but what do you think? Is this a viable solution? Not sure if you would have to tweak your EXIF data everytime you take new shots or if there would be a way to get it done globally/automatically.

Alex
    R6 II --- RF 14-35mm f/4L IS --- RF 24-105mm f/4L IS --- RF 100-400mm F5.6-8 IS
    70D --- EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 --- EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS --- EF 70-200mm f/4L IS --- EF 85mm f/1.8

Weird timing....it appears this is no longer necessary for many of us!

http://www.the-digital-picture.com/N...spx?News=14126

R6 II --- RF 14-35mm f/4L IS --- RF 24-105mm f/4L IS --- RF 100-400mm F5.6-8 IS
    70D --- EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 --- EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS --- EF 70-200mm f/4L IS --- EF 85mm f/1.8