Thread: RAW + JPEG and consequential headaches in post

RAW + JPEG and consequential headaches in post

Hey everyone,

Recently upgraded to the 70D (LOVE it so far), and when I was perusing the menus, I got the bug to try RAW + JPEG shooting. Seems the 70D offers RAW + different JPEG quality settings and I don't remember as many options for the 60D.

Anyhow, I get to the post-processing phase in DPP and now I remember why in the 6 years I've had a RAW-capable camera, I've never shot RAW+JPEG consistently. You can't perform batch processing of RAW to JPEG images in DPP if it detects there is an identical file name in that folder. Obviously, if I'm taking the time to edit a RAW image, that means that I wouldn't be happy with the JPEG one that came out of the camera and I would like to replace it.

Is there any way around this within DPP?

Do I honestly have to have my RAW and edited JPEGs in separate folders? Personally, I like keeping everything together so that it's all in the same place.

Thanks for any ideas you all may have!

Alex
    R6 II --- RF 14-35mm f/4L IS --- RF 24-105mm f/4L IS --- RF 100-400mm F5.6-8 IS
    70D --- EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 --- EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS --- EF 70-200mm f/4L IS --- EF 85mm f/1.8

Just switch to RAW...

I haven't had this problem in awhile as I shoot RAW only to my CF card. At one point I did shoot RAW + Jpeg. If I remember correctly, I either put my RAW and unprocessed jpegs from the camera into separate folders or I simply named the processed jpegs something slightly different from the unprocessed jpegs.

That said.....

Quote Originally Posted by neuroanatomist View Post
    Just switch to RAW...

Thanks for your replies. Looks like I will stick with RAW. I was unaware of DPP's ability to filter by file type, so I will use that in the future if I ever need to.

Thanks!
    R6 II --- RF 14-35mm f/4L IS --- RF 24-105mm f/4L IS --- RF 100-400mm F5.6-8 IS
    70D --- EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 --- EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS --- EF 70-200mm f/4L IS --- EF 85mm f/1.8