Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Going out on a limb here - a photographic rendezvous?

Going out on a limb here - a photographic rendezvous?

So kayaker posted his Antelope Canyon pics, on Flickr which are just fantastic and drive my thoughts on the rest of the post.

I follow the directions and the links fail for me for some reason the "early returns" are here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/77760916@N05/ - my daughter and I spent a week with only 2 shooting days in Grand Tetons, which I now call my scouting trip as I have many more places to shoot when lighting would allow and She didn't like the crowds at Yellowstone.

I think many of us have had the extreme pleasure of Northern AZ, Southern Utah - Grand Canyon, Bryce, Zion, Antelope & Wire Pass Slot Canyons, the Coyote Butte complex, Paria Plateau, etc, etc.

I would really love to get 2-5 shooters on a trip to that part of the world. I know I am the absolute least skilled in the group, but man I get such a kick out of it.

Planning far enough ahead, "mid level hotel" i.e. Days Inn, etc. Rented 4 wheel drives (Coyote Butte, White Pockets, etc) this could be a fairly affordable extended weekend type effort.

Is there any traction to this idea? Or am I simply hopeless.

Mike
    If you see me with a wrench, call 911

It does sound attractive. If you've done the research already, what do you think the final damage would be?

And when were you thinking? I think scheduling between 3-5 shooters may be the biggest hurdle.

Airfare to St George Utah - varies from the starting point but booked far enough ahead say $350 round trip.
    Hotel is going to run $140 single $80 double occupancy - (Kanab UT pricing)
    Rent a car for a full size SUV - 4 adults w/ gear is $80/day.
    Food? per day $40 gas $15/person??

So Airfare + $130/day to 200/day??? 4 or 5 days depending on the shooters - This is mid September pricing.

Could save some $$ at a flea bag hotel but....

The shooters are the boon and bain. I did this alone in 2013 and while it was fun, it wasn't as fun as it would have been w/ others (Daughter was too busy )
    Last edited by Busted Knuckles; 07-06-2014 at 04:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jrw View Post
    The idea sounds good, especially if in the colder season. Limited holiday time remaining at work though. Iceland and Barbados trips already planned for later in the year. Any idea of what you were proposing for a possible agenda and time of year?
    I am fortunate to be able to inflict my vacation schedule on my employer, the thing about "colder" season is that compared to Ontario - this is about the same with greater swings in the winter as the altitude plays havoc. I would limit this trip to no later than Oct 20, and no earlier than March 15.

The summer - Zion Narrows is very tolerable as you are walking up a river that is 72 fahrenheit, evenings/nights in the summer on the north rim of Grand Canyon, or Eastern Zion are very nice - I got lucky, sort of, and a storm blew in and cooled off the Coyote Buttes otherwise it would have been 100+ in the sun.
    Last edited by Busted Knuckles; 07-06-2014 at 04:49 PM.

Love the idea....pulling it off will be a bit tough for me in the near future as all my vacation time is pretty much allocated. But, I could maybe meet up with the group on a long weekend, or something of that nature.

Quote Originally Posted by Kayaker72 View Post
    Love the idea....pulling it off will be a bit tough for me in the near future as all my vacation time is pretty much allocated. But, I could maybe meet up with the group on a long weekend, or something of that nature.
    2013 November highs in Page AZ were low 60s in the beginning of the month and then struggled to get out of 40s at the end. Lows where 30s, only a couple of days had any precipitation. While I can inflict my vacation schedule on my employer, I can't do that w/ my wife .

It would have to be in early November.

Not something I can participate in this time round-(I'll likely be in the area next June) But If you haven't been to the region, It's a must see. Truly beautiful scenery virtually everywhere.

Senior Member nvitalephotography's Avatar
    This is an interesting idea. Ive actually been toying with the idea of doing a road trip out west this fall. Never thought about finding a few other photographers to go.
    Could make it fun.

Zion Narrows was a great hike even into October. I went mid Oct in 2012. Best part is the water isn't high (waist deep at the most) and risk of flooding is low. You can rent dry pants and shoes made for walking in the river. Such a great area for hiking and photos.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/ericpv...7631882477887/

Hi Mike,

I hope you are able to pull it off, it's an awesome trip. I went two years ago with my family and had a blast. For what it is worth, we used Vegas as our hub. Flights are regular, direct from most places, and very often affordable. Rental cars are equally plentiful. Best of luck!